Cooper model 21 or others?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cooper model 21 or others?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

[/quote]As far as the scope, I'm looking at either the Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch or the Leupold VX-3. Any recommendations on which one or which power?[/quote]

Most here know I'm pretty biased towards Leupold, but in this case, I'd put either a VX3 4.5-14X or a VX3 6.5-20X. It would depend on what you want to use the rifle for, but both are excellent varmint scopes and both can be had with 30mm tubes (LR), target, M1 or M3 turrets, choice of reticles such as the Varmint Hunter Reticle, along with crystal clear optics at all powers. Don't think the Nikon has any of these options......

I've got five VX3 6.5-20X's on various varmint rifles, and I'd not trade any of them for any other optic available right now.

This is one of them on my M21 Cooper just after removing the 3.5-10X Leupold Tactical I had on it temporarily for a squirrel shoot.

Since the photo was taken, all my VX3's have had the Leupold Alumina flip covers installed, and the rubber Butler Creek cover deep sixed..... Very cool scope covers that fold flat if wanted. Nikon does not offer anything like this either, but cost less too. Just remember: You get what you pay for (usually....).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick:

Are the scopes you mentioned the VX-III or the newer VX-3...?

The reason I ask is that I bought one of the new VX-3 scopes (4.5X14), and if this one is indicative, they are well worth the money. I have quite a few VX-III scopes and they are very nice, but the newer model is definitely an obvious visual improvement when you look through it....

Just curious....

-BCB
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BCB: The five scopes I refer to are all the newer VX3. I too noticed the optical superiority over the older VX-III in terms of clarity, brightness and resolution, not to mention that they also are 30mm tubes and of heavier tube construction. In fact all internals were upgraded and improved including dual coil erector springs.

The added benefit of their Alumina flip covers is just icing on the cake. This is the ocular cover:

Objective cover:

And the objective cover folded flat so as not to obscure the shooters down range view over the scope (both fold flat):

A much nicer arangement than the older Butler Creek covers (that still work just fine), and are at home on precison machined anodized alloy. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I'll second what Rick has said already. Get the VX-3, you won't be disappointed. Leupold did their homework on this model. IMO, they're as clear as a Zeiss Conquest, optically.

You won't be disappointed.

Jim
Orion2see
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varminter

Post by Orion2see »

I have four Cooper rifles and love them all. Each shoots wonderfully. I have Leupolds on two of them, and NightForce optics on the other two.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

To keep you guys updated: The Cooper should be at my FFL by Tuesday, and I ordered my scope today as well. I decided on the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40 LR with varmint reticle. The anticipation is KILLIN me
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Congratulations! I promise you won't be disappointed, and I'm sure the others will agree. Remember, we love pictures.

Try to tell yourself that the anticipation is half the fun......... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:I promise you won't be disappointed, and I'm sure the others will agree.
Nah, he's going to hate it. Being the nice guy that I am, though, I'll take it off his hands (at a moderate discount, of course). :wink:
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

Rifle came in early so of course I had to go pick it up and drool over it. Here it is! (no scope yet though :( )

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Uh oh...this Cooper fever must be contagious. I'd kicked around the idea of adding a better stock to my Rem. LVSF .204, but really wanted more barrel yet still be "carryable". Cost of an H-S stock would have put the cost of that combo in the range of a new VSSF-II or a C-Z Kevlar 527 so was considering one of those two. Had looked at Coopers but they were another notch up in price, and also wanted a repeater. Was at a dealer this AM for some other stuff. Thought I was "safe" from temptation as the ad for in-stock Coopers being $200 off had run out yesterday, and anyway, they never have the caliber/style you want in stock, right? On passing, asked the young man behind the counter what cal.'s those Coopers were; one was a .204. "Well, if I did get that brand, it would be the M Varminter with the cool Buick holes in the stock, so I guess it would be safe to handle this regular ol' 21 Varminter for just a minute," I was thinking...then the kid checked with his boss and they honored the discount which made it just a little more than the VSSF II and, hey, I can live with a smooth-cycling single shot...
Boy, is this thing a sweetie. Will post pix soon.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Not being a varmint hunter, just a predator hunter.....why do Coopers only make single shots?
I know someone will say, if you own a Cooper you will only need one shot. :D
I just flat out like the looks of them and could have already had one but I like more rounds ready to go, than just one.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
jdefranc938

Post by jdefranc938 »

Do you guys recommend using a nylon brush or the standard bronze brush to clean out the Cooper barrel? Also, I noticed Coopers instructions for breaking in the barrel in their manual. Is there anything else I should do other than what they said? Cleaning after every shot seems a bit excessive.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I followed the guide lines from the Cooper booklet. Make sure you have a good bore guide, and .20 cal rod. I think I used the nylon brushes, but I have since uses both nylon and bronze. Very nice looking rifle!
ImageImage
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Song Dog wrote:Not being a varmint hunter, just a predator hunter.....why do Coopers only make single shots?
I know someone will say, if you own a Cooper you will only need one shot. :D
I just flat out like the looks of them and could have already had one but I like more rounds ready to go, than just one.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Cooper makes repeating rifles. No excuses now.....

The Model 52 (long action) and the Model 54 (short action) are CF repeaters. The Model 57's are RF repeating rifles..

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/our_rifles_new.php

-BCB
Quoddy
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by Quoddy »

A few photos of the Cooper MTV (AAA French, fluted barrel, spiral fluted bolt) I, finally, picked up this morning. Just put the scope on and with no scope sighting was on the target with the first shot. With a few clicks it'll be on zero.

Cooper Montana Varminter (.204 Ruger) with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (Ballistic Turret/Plex reticule)