free floating

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Al 204
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

free floating

Post by Al 204 »

I finally got my CZ527 varmint 204. Got it all cleaned, and checked the barrel to see if it was free floated. I found the wood to metal very tight. I tried the dollar bill test, and if would not fit. I was wondering if everyone free floats there barrel's? Do you usually have to do this or do you just shoot them and see how they shoot?

Thanks
Al
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: free floating

Post by Hotshot »

I'd worry about changes of temp and humidity causing more or less pressure from wood to metal. Put a little sand paper on a dowel and free float it.
Al 204

Post by Al 204 »

Thanks, that is what I thought would be the best thing to do. I will be working on that tonight.

Al
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

When you're done sanding, be sure to seal the barrel channel with marine spar varnish, linseed oil or similar to seal it against moisture, or you'll have forend warping/wood to metal touching all over again.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Al 204

Post by Al 204 »

Thanks Rick, I already have some spar varnish ready. I have read a lot of the post on here and that is why I decided on the CZ. I just didn't remember anyone that had to float their barrel on this gun. I hope to get out next week and see how it will do after the break-in.

Al
cracker

Post by cracker »

I believe most people have that problem with the CZ. but once you free float that barrel you will love your gun. I have the same model, it shoots, now someday maybe I will be able to shoot.
If your shooting factory I would start with the 32 grain hornady. Keep us posted on how she shoots
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Al 204

Post by Al 204 »

I will be loading all of my own. I have a good supply of various bullets and powders. I can't wait to get started. I have prepared all of my cases. Two hundred win. and two hundred rem. I have been shooting for years but never looked to get the accuracy that I am hoping for with this gun and caliber. I will let you know how things go if this weather ever gets better.

Al