rcbs powder funnels - static electricity

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

rcbs powder funnels - static electricity

Post by doobie »

i have the RCBS plastic powder funnels and they seem to hold a lot of static electricity . flakes , kernals or what ever you name them of powder stick to the funnel and i have to sit there and keep tapping it to get those last ones down the tube , sometimes they just won't go down .
is there any thing that i can spray or wipe in the funnels so that this won't happen? i was thinking of taking some graphite on a rag and rubbing it into the plastic .
thanks , dan
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: rcbs powder funnels - static electricity

Post by Lenard »

I just experienced the same thing last week. I just used one of the Cling Free sheets to wipe the funnel down. Problem solved. I also hung part of the sheet in my powder measure as ball powders seem to be suseptible to the static more, for me anyway. Solved the problem.
Pepe-Lepew
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Pepe-Lepew »

I blow compressed air across the mouth of funnel if there is a build up of static electricity. It has worked excellent for me. Drawback is you need compressed air available.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

You also might try washing the funnel in dishwashing soap, then let it dry withOUT rinsing.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Al 204
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by Al 204 »

I had the same thing happen yesterday. I got a bounce dryer sheet, wiped the funnel down inside and out and no more problem.

Al
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Used to struggle with those issues and finally went out and ordered the aluminum Satern Funnels. Once you use these, you will never go back to plastic again. I think I ordered mine from Sinclairs
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/112 ... er-Funnels

http://www.saternmachining.com/PowderFunnel.htm
Savage Vaporizer
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Almost any time you have friction on plastic, you will build static electricity...
on a rag and rubbing it into the plastic
I started out having problems with a new dispenser and wound up taking it totally apart and wiping it down with some alcohol wipes and re-assembling it while it was potentially still wet...No problems since (almost two years)...
AR
Factory/Factory
doobie

Post by doobie »

its half time of the football game and i was sitting there helping my wife fold cloths up and low and behold there is a dryer sheet. now its not that i'm too cheap to buy an aluminum funnell , but i am too cheap :lol: .
so i took it downstairs and rubbed the plastic funnel with it ( inside and out ) put some powder thru it .... and ''wallah'' no static cling and fresh mountain spring smell .
great idea from lenard and al204 , THANKS !!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

doobie wrote:its half time of the football game and i was sitting there helping my wife fold cloths up and low and behold there is a dryer sheet. now its not that i'm too cheap to buy an aluminum funnell , but i am too cheap :lol: .
so i took it downstairs and rubbed the plastic funnel with it ( inside and out ) put some powder thru it .... and ''wallah'' no static cling and fresh mountain spring smell .
Did you get "the look" or the roll of the eyes from the Mrs. Doobie?
doobie

Post by doobie »

acloco wrote:
doobie wrote:its half time of the football game and i was sitting there helping my wife fold cloths up and low and behold there is a dryer sheet. now its not that i'm too cheap to buy an aluminum funnell , but i am too cheap :lol: .
Did you get "the look" or the roll of the eyes from the Mrs. Doobie?

oh yeah , sure did .