How many rounds?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

How many rounds?

Post by poppybull »

I know their are many varaibles involved such as temp, shade, etc., but typically when shooting PD's how many rounds do you shoot before/between cooling barrel on your 204 ? How often do you clean the barrel, do you also clean cooper each cleaning application?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: How many rounds?

Post by Captqc »

Here's what I do on a typical shoot. If I'm using my .17HMR I shoot 50 rounds without consideration of barell heat then stop and clean. After 200 to 300 rounds I'll check for copper and clean if necessary. If I'm shooting my .204, I'll shoot 5 or 6 rounds and then check to see how hot the barell is (I use the hand around the barell method, if she's to warm to hold tight then I cool her off.) After 30 rounds I give her a good cleaning and will check for copper about every 90 rounds (I'm lucky that my Remington does not build copper). If I'm shooting my 22-250 I will shoot 5 rounds and stop and let her cool as she will be hot. She will also get a good cleaning after 20 rounds or so. Now that I have a second .204 I'll be able to throw lead all day long! (now all I need is a cabana girl to clean my rifles as I rotate them) :lol:
poppybull

Post by poppybull »

Do you let the barrel cool naturally, or do you put wet towells on it? What is the normal amount of time necessary to cool barrel?
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I have used wet cloths to hasten cooling, I just wait a little while (5 minutes) after I have taken the cloth off to give the barrel temp a chance to even out. When I shot right after I used the cloth, (or while it was still on the barrel) the POI was high, when I wait a bit it is not noticable.

As for cleaning I used to clean after about 50 rounds or so. Then I did a 100 round test at the range and found no noticable increase in group sizes as the round count rose so I went to cleaning only after I got home. My new barrel is lapped so theoretically should go longer before needing a cleaning but I have yet to do a high round count accuracy test.

Every cleaning takes care of copper for me, I have switched to Wipe-Out the past year and a half and its much less work.

I read of a system that released liquiifed CO2 into the barrel for cooling....
http://www.thebigshooter.com/accessories1.cfm
but I personally think its a bit harsh on the metal.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

I let the barrel cool in the shade without a wet towel, depending on the temp it usually takes 10-15 minutes. With taking a Ruger Charger (.22lr), two .17hmr's. two .204 Rugers and a 22-250 I really don't have any down time unless I want it. Gary
poppybull

Post by poppybull »

Captqc, just solved the expected problem. Just bought another 204, maybe between two of them plus a 17hmr, I won't miss out on much shooting time. Thank you guys for your replies. Would be nice if this one liked 32 grs as well as the first one liked 40 grs, factory Horanady.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Poppy, now you are facing the same issue I am.... Now that I bought another .204 I need another scope! :duh: Gary
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Captqc wrote:Poppy, now you are facing the same issue I am.... Now that I bought another .204 I need another scope! :duh: Gary
Had the same issue so now I have three of them.
Savage Vaporizer
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

From all the reading I have done now on this cartridge, I know I'm going to need another one as I will want a bolt gun for sure :lol: but that will have to wait for now.
JB