Does anyone know......

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
adam

Does anyone know......

Post by adam »

What powder Hornady and Remington use in their factory off the shelf .204 Ruger 40 grain ammunition?!!
I have been developing loads for 39grain blitz kings and I cant match the rems for speed. Out of my gun the rems are pushing about 3888 on average yet my loads which are just over max in the books only get up to about 3500 to 3600.
I have tried H4895 and H322 with CCI BR 4 primers in factory rem cases I had from running my barrel in. The barrel is 26" Krieger mated to a stiller predator action.
Its doing my head in!!!! :mad: :wall: :wall:
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Does anyone know......

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The factories use non-canister powders for factory loads, usually specially blended for exactly what they are trying to achieve. You cannot match factory velocities in the 204 and still stay safe in regard to pressure. You cannot buy these powders.

Be content with the most accurate fast load you work up, and go varmint hunting. The critters won't notice you have not loaded to that extra 200 fps the factories use, I promise. In the end, you will most likely find that your best, most accurate one, is not your fastest one.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Rick in Oregon wrote:The factories use non-canister powders for factory loads, usually specially blended for exactly what they are trying to achieve. You cannot match factory velocities in the 204 and still stay safe in regard to pressure. You cannot buy these powders.

Be content with the most accurate fast load you work up, and go varmint hunting. The critters won't notice you have not loaded to that extra 200 fps the factories use, I promise. In the end, you will most likely find that your best, most accurate one, is not your fastest one.....
This is true! :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I seem to recall reading an article shortly after the .204 Ruger's introduction that Hornady used a powder especially blended for the cartridge. That powder contains a decoppering additive, i.e. tin dioxide, or one or more bismuth compounds. Bismuth combines with copper when molten and makes it a brittle alloy that is easier to remove. These powders were developed for military applications in rapid firing weapons. It is unknown to me if canister powders contain decoppering additives similar to factory .204 Ruger powder, the article implied they do not. Doesn't seem to matter much, just ask the rats.

My little load zips out at 4,085 fps and cleans up with a few patches, it would take a hose and gallon of Simple Green to clean up a splat - if I were to do such a thing. :lol: