LRPV owners...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

LRPV owners...

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I have a few qestions for you guys with LRPV's. First are the new LRPV coming with fluted barrels? Secondly, how is the 6 ounce trigger? Creep? any help would be appreciated. :D
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Re: LRPV owners...

Post by chuckhunter »

Not trying to be a smart a@@ but how much creep would a 6oz trigger have??
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

No. 1,

You can see all the configurations of LRPV's and target rifles from Savage on their website Savage Arms.

All of the accu-triggers that I have are very good, the 6 ounce target accu-trigger is awesome.

I sure think old CH might well be a smart a$$, but that was a good one.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Yes they have fluted barrels. A friend of my brothers just got one and it has a fluted barrel.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

chuckhunter wrote:Not trying to be a smart a@@ but how much creep would a 6oz trigger have??
Light triggers can easily have creep in them. I have an old SSS trigger that has creep in it. Just need to adjust it correctly.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Bought a NEW 12LRPV (.204) a month ago and it did not have the fluted barrel (earlier mfg.), and I never had to readjust the target trigger......it is so smooooooooth that after barrel break-in you just cant help but shoot 5 shot groups @ 100yds in the .1's and at 600 yards (over 1/3 mile) mine is shooting 10 shot groups of just under 2.75" with Sierra 39gr. BlitzKings; six of the 10 shots of that group are in a 1 5/8" group; the target was shot by shooting 5 shots, then drive down range for a look see, and then drive back get back in position and shoot the remaining 5 shots for a total of 10. Have the targets to prove it. BTW.... and dont worry if the muzzle end has a rub mark or two on it, it wont affect the accuracy, im told they stack the barrels on end at the factory causing the rub marks.
Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 LR Target #66605
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

Thanks guys. now I have a few questions about bases,

Is the LRPV a round or flat reciever?

I assume a 6BR is short action (im not super familiar with the cartridge)

Would you go with one or two peice bases?

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

giterdone wrote:BTW.... and dont worry if the muzzle end has a rub mark or two on it, it wont affect the accuracy, im told they stack the barrels on end at the factory causing the rub marks.
:wall:

Rick, I know you're dying to say something here... :wink:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Huh Mike, sorry, can't hear you....busy saving up for another Cooper...... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

:D
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

Rick.... You could always trade the "Remington" SPOD for another Cooper? ;)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Don't think so, git.. not anytime soon......she's been baptised under fire as an 11 twist 204, and before that, saw many seasons of both squirrel and prairie dog wars as a 223, and the original action was given to me by a dear departed Marine friend, so she'll never leave my safe, except to go visit Skippy and his pals.

Nice try though..... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

The LRPV is a round action just like all modern Savages. I prefer the Warne one piece picatinny base (short action) A good solid base that has some height to it to help your rings get high power scopes off the barrel. Personally I've never been a fan of scopes set real close to the barrel on anything but a walkin huntin rifle.
Just to be safe I bed my one piece bases to the action (witnh release agent on action). I simply trust Warne to get thier base straighter than I trust savage to grind/polish thier actions perfectly symmetrical front and rear.
If you consider bedding the base you may want to give it a trial run to see if you might desire to shim it front or rear. Mine was fine but....

Highly recommend the single shot or dual port as opposed to the repeater. Much easier to bed. More surface area.
Or maybe they now incorporate the Accustock design? In which case I would'nt worry about bedding.

Question of my own. Does the LRPV repeater have three action screws? I can't see how it could but I did'nt even know they were now fluting the barrels. :doh:

In case you haven't quessed I do not own an LRPV. I do have the same single shot action on a 6.5X284 tho.

My quess is you'll be pleased. I do not doubt giterdones claims. Recently saw a new Sav 6BR BR model with 8 twist chewing one hole in a 300yd target. I was extremely impressed.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

To answer your question, no the LRPV repeater does not have three screws. The repeater has a detachable box magazine. They are still using the H.S. Precision stock. I understand that the flutes are deeper on the new LRPV compared to the VLP flutes.
paddy 09
.204 Ruger Guns: remy 700 vls

Post by paddy 09 »

giterdone wrote:Bought a NEW 12LRPV (.204) a month ago and it did not have the fluted barrel (earlier mfg.), and I never had to readjust the target trigger......it is so smooooooooth that after barrel break-in you just cant help but shoot 5 shot groups @ 100yds in the .1's and at 600 yards (over 1/3 mile) mine is shooting 10 shot groups of just under 2.75" with Sierra 39gr. BlitzKings; six of the 10 shots of that group are in a 1 5/8" group; the target was shot by shooting 5 shots, then drive down range for a look see, and then drive back get back in position and shoot the remaining 5 shots for a total of 10. Have the targets to prove it. BTW.... and dont worry if the muzzle end has a rub mark or two on it, it wont affect the accuracy, im told they stack the barrels on end at the factory causing the rub marks.
Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 LR Target #66605
WOW ,that some groups .Is that handloads or factory ammo ?What sort of groups are you getting at 300 yards ?Them savage LRPV rifles sure seem to get great results .Fair play .