New Savage 12LRPV in .204 Ruger

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

New Savage 12LRPV in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

She aint pretty but boy can she cook....Kinda sums it up about Savage rifles vs some of the other "gorgeous looking and feeling" rifles; kinda like the lady and the tramp. Been using Savage barrel break-in procedures. Fire 1 and clean for first 10 shots, then fire 3 and clean for five repetitions. The first 25 rounds took me most of the day at the range. On my second visit I was firing 5 shots and clean for 5 repetitions. I placed five targets (100yds.) side by side and fired 5 shots and cleaned after each target, but I use Hollands Witches Brew Bore Lube after each cleaning. The first shot on 4 of the five targets were not in the group but interesting enough the 36-40 & 41-45 (five shot) groups were .164" five shots no flyer, and .182" five shots with a flyer. Looks like the "Tomato Stake" can shoot.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
assailant
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 .204Ruger

Re: New Savage 12LRPV in .204 Ruger

Post by assailant »

whattya talking about?! i think the model12 is absolutely beautiful!

if it werent for the small fortune it costs here in aus i wouldve had one, so i settled for a 25 instead.

whats this 'savage break in method' ?
mine didnt come with any special instructions for breaking in :?
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Re: New Savage 12LRPV in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

I downloaded the "barrel break-in" from the Savage web-site. Interesting, that Shilen recommends ...Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50. :chin:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters