New Cooper

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ruger44

New Cooper

Post by ruger44 »

I traded my Ruger MkII in on a Cooper Phoenix. I have several other Ruger rifles and revolvers, but I could get this one to shoot consistant groups. Anyway I used that as an excuse with the boss to upgrade.

I'm still breaking in the barrel, but like the way it shoots. Here are 4 shots (Hornady 32 gr. Vmax) at 50 yds.

It will be a little while before I get my reloading set up. Any suggestions on factory ammo for coyote/crow/paper out to 300 yds.?

Thanks
CV32

Re: New Cooper

Post by CV32 »

ruger44 wrote:It will be a little while before I get my reloading set up. Any suggestions on factory ammo for coyote/crow/paper out to 300 yds.? Thanks
Nice rifle! For factory ammo, I'd be looking at the Federal Premium V-Shok with the 39 gr Sierra Blitz Kings.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
rfurman24
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Post by rfurman24 »

I suggest trying different brands and bullet weights of the factory rounds. I am assuming this is a .204r I have had the best luck with Hornady 40 gr vmax which is weird because I can not get them to shoot it my reloads. Reloading wise Reloader 10x and 39SBK works in both my .204s.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ruger44, I have that same rifle but haven't shot mine yet (still saving pennies for a scope). Keep posting your results so I'll know what to expect next spring.
Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Gary,

FWIW, a good friend of mine bought a rifle just like that and shot verry good with his load. He's using 40 VMAX and Varget, don'r remember the load but if you want I can get it. I gave it a try as well, nice rifle...
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

If I could afford a "Cooper" it would be in my gun safe all ready. They do shoot extremely well. At our range "Cooper" rules the "varmint BR class" and if the shooter does his part of the job (reloading and shooting skills) the rifle wont let him down. Nice rifle, nice shooting... I will have to take another look in my safe to see if I want to part with any of my irons.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Wow she sure looks nice.
I really don't think it will ever group well. With that said, since your in Central Illinois, you can bring it to Palmyra and let me have it :D .
I really like they way they look and have heard great things. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Jim, it's interesting to hear that the Cooper shoots the 40's as my Remington hates them! I can't wait till spring! Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Gary,

My Remington Thub-hole, despises the 40 VMAX, regardless of what I try. My CZ shot them OK, but only after I had already put several hundred of the 39 grainers down the barrel. By that time I had already stocked up on the 39 SBK, so I haven't bothered with anything else although I do have some Berger 35's laying around that I'll have a go with.

Jim
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Jim, not to hyjack this thread but I agree with what you are saying. My Remington hates the 40's but the 39's do fine. Most of the pills I throw with this gun are the 32's which are like shooting a laser beam (when I do my part). I can't wait to see what the Cooper likes!!!! Is it spring yet?????? :huh: Gary
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

ruger44 wrote:It will be a little while before I get my reloading set up. Any suggestions on factory ammo for coyote/crow/paper out to 300 yds.?

Thanks
Mine likes Hornady 40 gr V-Max better than any other factory ammo that I have tried.
ruger44

Post by ruger44 »

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try the 40 gr. Vmax. I've been out of town lately, but hope to finish breaking it in in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.