Hand lapping barrels

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Hand lapping barrels

Post by KIM204 »

What is the good or bad of hand lapping a barrel ? I've heard good things and bad things . I'm thinking about doing one of my guns. Thanks :?:
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Hand lapping barrels

Post by Hotshot »

I don't know what you have in mind, but I believe hand lapping barrels is a specialized skill. You might be better off to consider fire lapping-shooting bullets with a grit that polishes the bore. Kits are available from MidwayUSA and others.
KIM204

Post by KIM204 »

The kit I have is the wheeler one from midway. You can do both fire or hand lapping.It has the detailed explanation to hand lap or fire lap with three grits of compound 220,320,600. The things I have readed is that it will help keep the copper from sticking to the barrel?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

True! A smooth barrel will usually enhance accuracy and will always be easier to clean.
I've known some who have fire lapped and had good results. I've owned Hart and Kreiger barrels that were lapped very smooth and they were a joy for shooting accuracy and easy to clean. Give it a try.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use a version of hand lapping for all my factory barrels. No magic, not hard, just takes some time.

This was learned from an old BR shooter years ago. Use a worn out (for the caliber you're working on) bronze brush wrapped with one oversize patch. Soak the patch in solvent, run through the very clean barrel. Do not remove the patch. Now smear on JB Compound or valve lapping compound, run back and forth through the bore applying more solvent to keep it wet when needed, and more JB when you don't feel the "cutting" action. Do not let the brush come all the way out of the muzzle, just keep working it back and forth.

Many times I'll use a .17 cal brush in a .20 cal barrel, or a .20 cal brush in a .22 cal barrel etc., as the patch makes up the difference in diameter.

After about 75 to 100 passes, clean the bore throughly, check with magnification if possible, and you'll see the most shiny barrel interior you've ever seen. This removes/smoothes all the micro burrs left from broaching or even hammer forging during the manufacturing process and leaves the bore bright and clean.

If you still feel it needs more, have at her, just be sure to get all the gunk out prior to firing, or you'll then be fire-lapping unintentionally.

Of course the "correct method" would be to cast a Cerasafe slug, then use it with compound to lap the barrel, but most shooters are not prone to wanting to pour moulten compounds down into their chambers or barrels, but that's the method recommended by most smiths.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

KIM204

Post by KIM204 »

Thanks Rick I'm going to do my old Rem. 22-250 if that works out ok then do the 204 kimber. :?: :)