Lucky Group : )

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Lucky Group : )

Post by BabaOriley »

I made a stop at the range today. My main goal was to test shooting factory 40gr V-Max's. To this point, I had never shot a factory loaded round in my 204. I wanted to check to see if that last half MOA of accuracy was lost in my reloading techniques, or my shooting techniques. I won't go into much detail on the results shooting factory 40gr Hornadys, but it wasn't very good. ~3625fps, and in (2) 5-shot groups, the best result was just over MOA at 100. I'll try them again, but I wasn't impressed today.

After testing the factory loads, I figured I'd have some fun. I had (45) handloads with me, so figured I'd shoot them. These were 34gr dogtowns, with 27.8gr Ramshot TAC, at 2.247 COAL. I wanted to chrono these because this was only my 2nd time out using the Tubb CWS (Carrier Weight System). It's a weight you insert into the back of the bolt carrier. It comes with 2 steel rods that fit inside it. One rod is ferrous steel, the other is stainless, and a bit heavier. I found on my original test outing with this device, that with the heaviest weight, the rifle would not cycle semi-auto with light bullets. Today I just used the bare CWS carrier weight with no extra weight rods inserted, and the rifle cycled beautifully. The chrono indicated these dogtowns were averaging 3825fps. I did not take the time to remove the CWS to see if there was a velocity drop, but it I think 3825 is faster than this load shot before today. Anyway, on to the good stuff...

I had 3 rounds left and was looking for interesting targets, when it occured to me there was a 55 gallon drum (burn barrel) about 300 yards away, that would be a good target to test bullet drop on this load. I checked the range with a laser to 295 yards from the bench. My only goal was to aim at the top lip of the barrel, then measure how far the bullets dropped. There was no windage reference, only the top lip of the drum. I was pretty surprised with the result. :shock:

I think the group is actually right around 1". I gave OnTarget a reference measurement of the barrel being 22.5" in diameter. I'll go back and mark 1" next to the group to get a better measurement, but if I could shoot like this consistently I'd be more than satisfied. I need to start shooting longer ranges. You think this rifle could be more accurate at 300 than 100? lol Figured you guys would appreciate my luck!

My shooting has improved over the last year since getting this rifle. I think that has alot to do with believing cartridge/rifle combo to have more accuracy potential than I've ever shot, so I may concentrate more on technique etc... Recent improvements in accuracy came from a discussion here on putting a bubble level on my scope, so the rifle is level on the bench every time. The other is the Accu-Shot monopod. I think a rear squeeze bag is capable of providing at least as good stability, but this rear monopod has shown instant results for me. It won't come into play hunting coyotes, but I'm looking forward to trying it shooting prairie dogs.

One of my 100 yard targets today: (Why can't I do this on that Postal Shoot Target?)
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Lucky Group : )

Post by acloco »

Good shooting!!!
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

Nice Shooting indeed. I wish I had an area in Southern NJ to shoot at greater distances than 100 yards. There is a range with a 300 yard range but it is a long drive and to go once or twice a year its not worth the membership price.
sniper 101

Post by sniper 101 »

wow i would be happy with that even at 100 yards.

nice shooting
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

While we all need a little "luck" once in a while.... I doubt if it was a major factor in your shooting at the barrel.... IMHO that was pretty terrific shooting from any perspective...
AR
Factory/Factory