Todays Target

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Todays Target

Post by darchell »

I went to the range today and the rifle did rather well. Well enough I had to post it.

Heres the skinny on the target. That is a 10 shot group. If you count all 10 the group is .546 inches across. Just over a half inch. If you discount the two that went out of the group to the bottom right the group is .281 for eight shots. Just over a quarter inch. Now if you really want to get crazy and take out the 7th shot off the top right corner that makes it a .247 inch group for seven shots. Just under a quarter inch with seven shots. Not to shabby for an off the shelf rifle. I was shooting from a Harris Bi-Pod and sand bags. The rifle is a stock Savage VLP shooting 35 grain bergers in front of Benchmark powder. Glad I had another guy at the range with me to validate my target.

Last edited by darchell on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Todays Target

Post by Silverfox »

darchell--WOW!!!! You sure latched onto a GREAT shooting rifle there!!! I'd make sure I kept it under lock and key when not using it.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Agree with Silverfox. The 35 gr Bergers are VERY accurate in 204's (or 20 caliber anything) AND provide great results for those that hunt fur bearing animals.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Awesome target Darren. :hail: :hail: I have never tried Benchmark powder with a 35gr. Berger (been using H4895), but after seeing your target, I must say im impressed. What was your load, and O.A.L of the loaded cartridge; primer and brass type? Have you chronographed it yet? I also have a 12VLP like yours and they are bughole makers.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
darchell

Post by darchell »

My secret formula is....

Berger 35 Grain Bullets
Winchester Brass trimmed to 1.830
Benchmark Powder 26.6 Grains
Federal 205 Primers. (Not the 205M)
Not sure of the OAL but the length to the Ogive is 2.015
Velocity 3690. (I think it is my rifle that gives me this speed I have loaded other loads from info I gained off this site and never come close to the velocity that others get)

If I missed something let me know. Like I said before I am glad others at the range saw the shooting cause heck I don't believe me :D
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Seeing is believing...that was a great group. I also use WW brass but I trim to 1.842 and spec is 1.840-1.850 so I try to stay just above the trim to length. Been using mostly Rem. 7 1/2BR primers and a lot of RL10X with 39gr. BK. Now that the 12LRPV showed up, I have another new barrel to break in. You've really been knocking the snot out of them groundhogs :reddot: (woodchucks) from what I have seen of your pictures. Thanks for the info, I will have to try that load in my 12VLP. How many rounds have you fired so far in your VLP...are you keeping track?
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
darchell

Post by darchell »

I have shot approximatly 175 rounds. Not many at all. It seems to be getting into a groove now. Hope it lasts.
okbob51
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper

Post by okbob51 »

NICE GROUP! I love those kind of days at the range.