.204 Ruger for Turkey hunting

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ANATION
.204 Ruger Guns: None

.204 Ruger for Turkey hunting

Post by ANATION »

Hello. I have been a big gamer hunter, deer, bear etc, for most of my life but was considering picking up a nice small bore for PA turkey this fall. I currently have a .223 (Ruger Hawkeye) on layaway that I was going to pick up this weekend but was considering a .204 Hawkeye instead. The shop has one in for the same price as the .223 and said that swaping would be no problem. My question is: will the .204 do as good as a job on Turkey as the .223? I'm thinking yes but was wondering if anybody had any first had experience. I have a few Colt ARs so I liked the idea of a .223 for ammo swaping but the .204 seems like it could be a tack driver. Anyhow, thanks for any and all replies. BTW, I know that I have to use expandable bullets so if I would go with a .204, does the 32 gr Hornady make more sense than the 40 gr? Thanks.
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: .204 Ruger for Turkey hunting

Post by ulen mn »

I dont know about this where I come from we use shotguns or archery for turkey seems to me that a rifle would kinda mess up all the meat just my opinion...
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
ANATION

Post by ANATION »

ulen mn wrote:I dont know about this where I come from we use shotguns or archery for turkey seems to me that a rifle would kinda mess up all the meat just my opinion...
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, PA is one of the few states that allows centerfire rifles. Like I said, I wish I could use solids, but I must use expandables. I just want the breast. If I could get a side shot under the wing and scramble the inards, I will be happy.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

ANATION wrote:
ulen mn wrote:I dont know about this where I come from we use shotguns or archery for turkey seems to me that a rifle would kinda mess up all the meat just my opinion...
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, PA is one of the few states that allows centerfire rifles. Like I said, I wish I could use solids, but I must use expandables. I just want the breast. If I could get a side shot under the wing and scramble the inards, I will be happy.
Why not shoot the bird where the base of the neck meets the body? Any decent .204 (or .223 for that matter) will have more than enough accuracy to make that shot.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Shoot for the head! :) Why worry yourself with a body shot...take the head off and you'll be good.

I think the BT's may cause a little more damage than what you are expecting.
ANATION

Post by ANATION »

WaltherP99 wrote:Shoot for the head! :) Why worry yourself with a body shot...take the head off and you'll be good.

I think the BT's may cause a little more damage than what you are expecting.
I guess that is an option, I just have to put more time in at the range
:)
Mike

Post by Mike »

A turkey moves its head quite a bit, making for a potentially difficult shot. You've got a much better chance of shooting where the base of the neck meets the body.
cracker

Post by cracker »

I watch a show once where a woman shot a turkey with a handgun, she aimed near the rear end of the turkey. find a good target that shows the vitals and you will see that the heart and other organs are near the rear end. they dont move their rear like they do the head
Cracker
Wish we could hunt turks with a rifle.
Sportingly
cracker
Mike

Post by Mike »

cracker wrote:Wish we could hunt turks with a rifle.
You and me both. I can't tell you how many times I've had a gobbler strut around about ten to fifteen yards beyond effective shotgun range. The phrase "man, I wish I could use my .204 on these birds" has been uttered many, many times.