So i bit the Bullet...... On a new 204..

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
204saskman
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Barksa 6x24x50 Weaver mounts Harris bipod

So i bit the Bullet...... On a new 204..

Post by 204saskman »

Well i have been looking at new rifles the last little while and have decided to go with a remington modle 700 VLS. I wanted the Rem 700 VLSS but it was 500 extra for it. I currently have a savage modle 25 in 204 ruger and have absolutly loved this caliber. Only reason im upgrading is cause i have a buddy looking for a used 204 and i told him if he bought mine i could upgrade. So he did. I also just bought a new scope. Its made by Yingrui and the modle is a Jager, I have never herd of them before but had read a bit about them and they seem like a OK scope for the price.Its a 6x24x50AO with Illuminated Retical. It also has the built in 30/30 range finder function. If i dont like it im gonna switch it out to a falcon menece 4.5-18x44 in the end. I will post some pics in the next few days. Once i get rings and bases.

Saskman
Rem 700 VLS 204 Ruger
Jager 6x24x50 IR AO german made scope
Harris 3 stage bi-pod
Weaver rings
duck911
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 VLS, CZ 527

Re: So i bit the Bullet...... On a new 204..

Post by duck911 »

My .204 VLS is *THE* most accurate gun I own. I think yours will grow on you!

Congrats on the purchase!

--Duck911
204saskman

Post by 204saskman »

Ya i herd good things about the modle 700 rem thats why i went with it this time. I really wanted the Laminate thumbhole stock but im gonna shoot this one for a bit and if i feel the need i will order one from boyds or something. Now i just need to get the rifle and put it all together and figure out what it likes to shoot. How did you break yours in?? I broke my savage in by 5 shots,clean, 10 shots more, clean, 15 shots, clean, 20 shots, clean. Then go to town. I clean my savage every 100 rounds now as i find the accruacy starts to get wonky at that point.(Not bad but a little off.)
Rem 700 VLS 204 Ruger
Harris 3 stage bi-pod
Weaver rings
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Sounds like you have yourself a winner there. I have the thumbhole flavor and its nice but I'd rather lug a Chicago Piano/Chicago Typewritter (aka Thompson M1A1 @ 11 lbs) around in the woods than the VLTHSS.

The beauty of the Remington 700 is just about anything (aftermarket) you would ever want is available. The only downside is, Remington bolts (factory ones) are not readly available, but the aftermarket has fixed that too.

I break all of my barrels in by;
- Firing 1 shot and clean (10 rounds)
- 2-shots and clean for 10 rounds
- One 5-shot string (1 min between each shot) and clean.
- One 5-shot string (1 min between each shot) and clean.

Don't let the barrel get warm and make sure all fouling has been removed before moving on. It takes a while but I've been doing it this way for years and its always worked for me. Don't get overly concerned about groups, most rifle's won't start showing their potential until a couple hundres rounds are down range.

Check and see if your rifle will pass the dollar test. If it doesn't and it's not grouping well it may need bedding and free floating (which I do to all of mine any way).

Enjoy
204saskman

Post by 204saskman »

Ok well i will give it a try. I got the gun and i just mounted the new scope and rings on it. It looks sweet. It sure is a heavy gun, but thats the way i like it. Im not a very good shot with my syn rifle that i used to own and that is why i went to a heavy barrel rife. Im sure this thing weighs at least 11-13 lbs. But well see. If i could figure out how to postpics i would.
Rem 700 VLS 204 Ruger
Harris 3 stage bi-pod
Weaver rings