Just wondering!!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ohlsen

Just wondering!!

Post by Ohlsen »

I wonder why the factories have never switched the rifling on the .204 from the present 1x12 to a much better 1x11??

Tom
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: Just wondering!!

Post by greystone »

I've wondered the same thing. I had one 204 that simply would not shoot the 40 V-Max. Key holed them horribly. I have an old Rem 700 ADL 243 with a barrel that has seen its better days. I think this action will eventually be rebarreled in 204 with a 1X9 twist to handle the 50 and 55 Bergers. That really looks interesting to me. Dave
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

If I had to guess :chin: , it would be $$$$$, which is what business is all about :D . A true 1-12" DOES work with 40 Hornadys, as guys here attest to all the time, but the problem is that most factory barrel-making stuff hasn't got the tolerances to give a true 1-12", it gets worn and "sloppy" for lack of a more precise term.

Some of the guys here have checked their twists, and the barrels ran closer to 1-12.25" or 1-12.5". Since 1-12" is almost marginal anyway (which supposedly gives the utmost accuracy, according to benchresters), the larger tolerance makes some 40s use untenable.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

This cartridge was developed for the 32 grain bullet.
cracker

Post by cracker »

I agree with Hotshot this round was made to shoot light bullets at fast speeds. and if they made a faster twist then the factory ammo guys would have to offer more of a selection of 204 ammo.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot and Cracker are correct; originally (according to industry "insiders") the 204 was intended to shoot very light bullets to take advantage of the speed factor. The factories standardized the 32gr/12 twist, thinking that shooters would want LIGHTER bullets for sheer speed........wrong!

Now that the 12 twist is more or less standard, it's likely that's all we'll ever see........at least for now. Let's hope they wake up in light of all the faster twist custom barrels flying off the shelves and offer either a compromise twist, or just offer a "light bullet" twist, or a "heavy bullet" twist. Doubtful, but we can hope.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Well, how many rounds does it take to burn out the throat on one of these things anyway? A few thousand?

Am thinking that it won't take some of us but a couple of seasons and we're going to need a new barrel - so take a look at what the custom guys offer... Maybe it's time to order that new Krieger or Pac Nor or ??? :D Get whatever twist you want!

Barrels... Kind of like tires. Even the good ones wear out. Regards, Guy
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Guy, send me your rifle and I'll try my best to answer that question for you.