re:Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
donputz
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS in .204

re:Tell us about yourself...

Post by donputz »

Been lurking for a month or so, figured it's time to step up and say hello.
My name's Don Saltus. I'm a 52yr old general contractor "living" in Southern Kalifornia. I've been shooting for 34 years and reloading for 28. Most of the shooting has been target and varmint, though not the type of varmint shooting I'm doing now. Previously it was walking with .22's. A .22mag was almost a big game rifle. Then came the AR! Eats a lot of ammo over a weekend so reloading became a necessity. That led to reloading for every gun that wasn't rimfire.
The acceptable (legal) shooting areas around here have become almost nonexistent. Fortunately for me, a friend thru work bought a full section (1 sq. mile) in the mountains of Kern County. I helped build his house there and was told I'm welcome anytime. Great property with plenty o' small varmints and coyotes, with ranges from 25 to 400 yds.
The first really accurate firearm I came to own is a Bushmaster AR lower w/ two stage trigger, topped with an SOG .223 heavy barrel upper. Added a Simmons 6x18 scope and away we go! The rifle consistently pulls .3 inch groups as long as I do my part. Then I bought a Rem700VLS in .308. Another rifle that shoots better than I can. Next came a POS Marlin 17v that shoots like a dream. At the ranch I was making 200 yd. prone shots like clockwork with one shot a measured 325 yds. I know that was a lot of luck! The latest and greatest is a Rem700 SPS Varmint in .204. I think I'm in love. What this does to ground squirrels is truly awe inspiring.
I've enjoyed the site and the info picked up here, looking forward to more!
donputz
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: re:Tell us about yourself...

Post by Captqc »

Hi Don, Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you are in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornnia but It sounds like you have options for some fun with Skippy and his pals. Remember we love pictures around here! Gary