17 HMR

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
patrickhoma
.204 Ruger Guns: H and R ultra varminter

17 HMR

Post by patrickhoma »

Looked at some rifles in 17 HMR (marlin 917 VSF) and was woundering if anyone as any rifles in this caliber. From the sounds of it they have a flat trajectory but what im worried about is wind drift. Out to 100-200 yards how will it preform. I want to shoot coyotes but dont know how the wind will effect the little 17 out at 200 yards. Does anyone have any good kills on a coyote with one of these little rounds.
P.S. lets see some of those varmint rifles dosent have to be a 17 HMR just show off your cool rifle you use for varmints.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: 17 HMR

Post by Hotshot »

I love my 17 HMR but even though the flat trajectory makes it fairly easy to hit a target at 200 yards, I would not shoot an animal at that distance because there is not enough energy to make a good kill. Any wind will blow the little bullet around, so this would not be a good round as far as 10mph or more wind is involved.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I will not go sage rat shooting without a 17HMR and routinely take them at 200 yards. It would not be my choice for coyotes as it is only 17 or 20 grains. I have heard of people killing coyotes with them but there are much better choices out there that will make clean kills.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

I wouldn't go without my 17 HMR either. On my first outting I hit a sage rat at 290 yards (a real calm day) with mine. I'll confess that was a lucky shot because the grouping of a 17HMR at that distance is defiently larger than a sage rats physique.

The wind "will" definetly blow a 17HMR around so compensate accordangly. At 200 yards with a swirling wind will make for a sporty shot.

HTH
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

I've been using my 17 HMR for ground squirrels lately and past 100 yards it makes hitting much easier than with a 22 LR. It is also quite a bit less wind sensitive than the 22. My own personal opinion (which is worth what you are paying for it) is that the 17 HMR is not powerful enough to be a reliable coyote killer. I prefer a center fire 22 or a 243 for them.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I do not recommend the 17 HMR for coyotes, although it can be done. You must make a good shot, and make it preferably at under 100 yards.

I watched a friend of mine shoot a coyote at about 95 yards with the TNT 20 grain hollowpoint bullet. The bullet traveled the length of the coyote, from shoulder to hind quarter, across his body, and exited. Dead coyote. But, in many instances, the 17 HMR would not kill cleanly, and that is my concern.

I shoot a CZ 452 in 17 HMR. On my wishlist are a Cooper Squirrel Rifle, a Browning T-bolt, and a Dakota, when the stock market reaches 40,000!
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I just bought another 17 HMR they are great for squirrels. I would buy the Savage for the Accutrigger it works great. I heard the new Marlins have a trigger like it. I would stay away from the older Marlins as the triggers suck. and it would cost you $93 dollars to up grade one. I just bought a Accelerator built here in So Cal Chino to be exact. The trigger is not the best but it can be worked on. http://www.excelarms.com/acceleratorrif ... tures.html I bought this at a Gun show in Ontario Ca. One of the local Gun makers that they are trying to run out of buesness.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

So... What's the expected round count on a .17 HMR before a new barrel is needed?

A whole bunch I'd think... :D My youngest son loves that .17 HMR in the little CZ varminter.... I'd like one myself!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

17HMR: Coytes 'no'.....ground squirrels....'bring 'em on'. I like the round so much, I have two, a Ruger 77/22 Mag Lilja 17HMR switch barrel, and a CZ 452 Varmint. Both have easily taken ground squirrels past 200 yards on numerous occasions with excellent terminal effects, but I'd never consider shooting coyotes with either of them, as there are much better alternatives in the safe.

My Ruger 77/22 with the Lilja 17HMR barrel on the bench getting cleaned last weekend. Note the pile of brass to the right, I fired over 200 rounds at a line of sage that paralled the road out to 202 yards where a drill rig is located. Squirrels would run out of the alfalfa, stop on the two-track before darting into the safety of the sage. It was constant action, ideally suited to a 17HMR.

The shooting was fast and furious, and we counted 81 squirrel bodies laying on the two-track afterwards; many more in the alfalfa and in the sage not shown.

My Ruger 77/22 Mag switch barrel rig with the Lilja 17HMR barrel mounted ready to do the deed (Moyers trigger, glass bedded/floated, Lupy Vari-X II 4-12X AO scope):

IMHO the 17HMR is the best thing ever to happen to the rimfire world, but it's not the 'do-all' round some may think it is, but it's the best rimfire caliber for ground squirrels to ever come down the pike. It's here to stay though, I'm certain of that, and quite glad also. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri May 22, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I'd say it's pretty much a perfect match for sage rats Rick! Nice shooting!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: I'd say you're right, thanks. It was just "one of those days", perfect weather, minimal wind, unlimited targets, an accurate 17HMR on the bench, tackdriving CF's cased in the truck waiting to go, and good friends to share it all with, it doesn't get much better.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but "NO", the 17HMR is not a coyote round (sure it will kill one, but just because it would doesn't mean you should.....) There are much better choices.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

stevecrea

Re: 17 HMR/unfair to varmints

Post by stevecrea »

In my opinion, the 17 HMR is so effective, that it is not fair chase to use it against squirrels at under 100 yards. In a good rifle, with a good scope, with a good rifleman, and little wind, one could easily shoot well over 50 percent at 100 yards.

Now that we have discussed the 17 HMR quite thoroughly, how about the 17 Mach2? I do not have one. With ammo at around $7.99, it is far more expensive than 22 ammo in most cases. However, I would think that on PDs and squirrels, that it could be far more effective than the 22. Comments?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Steve: From experience with friends rifles, the M2 is only good to barely over 100 yds for squirrels, as it runs out of steam fast. With the flat trajectory it offers though, it would excell at tree rats with head shots to save meat. It's also a very accurate little round.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Rick,

Yes, I would agree that the energy past 100 yards or so is dismal. However, I am a little tempted by the 17 M2 because I would expect that it would tend to be more accurate than the 22 in many cases, with better quality control in the ammo, better designed bullets, etc.

I love the 22, and shoot thousands of rounds per year at Townsend ground squirrels here. However, the quality of the ammo varies widely. For several years, we have experimented with CCI QuikShoks, Remington Golden Bullets, and many other brands. It seems to be difficult to gain consistency.

I would expect to gain consistency and flatter trajectory with the Mach 2. Has anyone had much experience with this round?
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Nice looking rig Rick. I have to agree with everyone else. Wind plays a major factor in the little "Hummer". It's probably my second favorite gun to shoot next to my .204. My 8YO little girl is deadly with it too. :D Here's a pic of my 17.