Remington question

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Remington question

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Jim: You may be referring to my good long-time friend and rat shooting buddy, Master Riflesmith Darrell Holland of Holland's Gunsmithing in Powers, Oregon:
Rick,

He may very well be the one, I'll check with the person who relayed the info to me in the first place and if I get one of his I'll tell him you sent me his way.

Thanks,
Davis Goertzen
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Davis Goertzen »

Hello again,

WaltherP99, after reading the article you mentioned I can see what you mean about the stock. However, unless I’m badly mistaken, I would expect to be able to tweak hand-loads to a state of reasonable accuracy; and if not, it’s not so expensive a gun that I would mind putting a better synthetic stock on it.

All in all though, I can basically conclude that one of these guns would make at least a good starter, right?

Rick in Oregon, what area of B.C. were you in? I’m about 30 minutes north of Fort St. John, if you know where that is; something like 5-5 ½ hours north of Prince George. We don’t have so terribly much for varmints up here, mostly coyotes and magpies. Sometimes when I read the stories you guys post, I get jealous and wish we had gophers and groundhogs and rock chucks here too. But I keep telling myself that as much fun as they would be to shoot at, such critters do a great deal of damage to the ground; and anyone who has run cows or horses on ground that is filled with holes can tell you that it’s no fun to keep on finding animals with broken legs and such. No place is perfect, but just about every place has something to offer someone.

Thanks to one and all for your helpful input.

Davis
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Davis Goertzen wrote:Hello again,

WaltherP99, after reading the article you mentioned I can see what you mean about the stock. However, unless I’m badly mistaken, I would expect to be able to tweak hand-loads to a state of reasonable accuracy; and if not, it’s not so expensive a gun that I would mind putting a better synthetic stock on it.

All in all though, I can basically conclude that one of these guns would make at least a good starter, right?
It's an excellent starter and if your not concerned with "utmost" accuracy...the factory synthetic would suffice!

You can easily pick up the HS Precision stocks that owners take off their Police models for a decent price. That is what I did to start (as seen in the following pic) but sold that one too pick up the B&C, The HS just didn't fit me the way I had expected it too.

In the end, it's your rifle and it ultimately has to make you happy! :D If your content with the factory stock and it performs the way you want it than there is no reason to switch it out. Also, don't forget if you a "Handy" type person, you can stiffen it up and make it what you want.

Anyway, Enough babbling from me! ;lol: Good luck in whatever you decide and keep us posted! (and don't forget the pics! :D )
badhop
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VTR 204 Ruger

Post by badhop »

I just purchased a Remington SPS Varmint 204 last week. I put a Carlson & Bell aluminum bedded Medalist stock on it, strapped a Leupold VX III 6.5X20X40 on, and got the X-Mark pro trigger adjusted down to less than 2 lbs. Took it to the range to sight it in and was getting 1/4" 100yd groups with some hand loads I had lying around. I have been smiling every since :D . Trigger broke like glass with no creep, bolt lockup was tight, but smooth. I was amazed that this is a lower end production rifle with just an after market stock. I got lucky, or Remington is as they advertise...."the most accurate production rifles made". I'm a happy customer, and would recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a good rifle at a decent price.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Davis Goertzen wrote:
Rick in Oregon, what area of B.C. were you in? Sometimes when I read the stories you guys post, I get jealous and wish we had gophers and groundhogs and rock chucks here too.
Davis: I went to school down in the Delta, worked for years up on the big island; Nimpkish Camp, Woss Camp, Vernon Camp run by Canadian Forest Products. We used to have a ranch south of you near Jesmond and Horsefly, outside of Clinton. We specialized in moose, deer and bear back then.

True, the varmint shooting here is very good, but just remember you've got the best big game hunting in North America where you are now. I needed trigger time, hence me moving here.

In regard to your musings about any of these rifles being suitable for a 'starter gun', I'd agree also and say 'yes'.

Have fun with those coyotes and magpies!

Rick
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

Owned an SPS Varmint but not in 204 ruger. Cheap, ugly rifle but a fantastic shooter!!! If nothing else it is a great starting block for a semi custom job....the action is one of the best out there.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO