Remington question

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Re: Remington question

Post by majcl5 »

Walter p99: nice gun, I havent seen a SPS that is stainless?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

majcl5 wrote:Walter p99: nice gun, I havent seen a SPS that is stainless?
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... inless.asp

-BCB
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Thanx! It's quite the rifle!

The link BCB lists shows the regular SPS in stainless...mine is the SPS-V which is the heavy 26" barrel. For the life of me I can't seem to find it on the Remington site AT ALL! :)
Jason Shore
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF 11

Post by Jason Shore »

Image[/quote]
top looking Rifle
Can you please tell me is that a suppressor hanging of the end of the barrel??
thanks Jason
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

Jason Shore wrote: top looking Rifle
Can you please tell me is that a suppressor hanging of the end of the barrel??
thanks Jason
It's a muzzlebrake!
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Walter is right it is a Muzzle Break . I put them on my Varmint rifles even the .204 's It makes an increadiable difference even on the .204's you can see so much more in your scope. KABOOM!!!!! SPLAT!!!!!
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Davis Goertzen
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Davis Goertzen »

Hi all again,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I picked up the link to this forum on another hunting forum, and enjoyed browsing so much I decided to join here. That way I can also pester ya’ll with questions! :D :D Just kidding. But seriously, I enjoy it here. As I feel you all are entitled to a little of my background before I launch off too many more questions, here goes. I am 22, single, and still sort of feeling around for a career, but hoping to get into locksmith work. I grew up in rural Alberta and British Columbia (for the rare poor soul who doesn’t know, those are Canada’s two western-most provinces), but although I grew up around guns, I really only got into hunting personally over the past few years. My current gun collection consists of a 7mm08 and a semi-auto 22 lr, both Remingtons (sorry—I know this is a Ruger site, please don’t kick me off :( ). Oh, and I just about forgot to add, my brother hand-loads all my ammo. So any other gun I get would get fed hand-loads also.

Now, I just have to respond to all your helpful posts. I do not shoot in competitions, and our gun range is only 200 yards, so it sounds as though the X-Mark trigger should work all right.

WaltherP99, I’m curious as to why you say that I’ll have to replace the stock on the SPS. You may very well be right, but could you just elaborate? If it helps you at all, my current deer rifle (the 7mm08) is a 700 SPS, which shoots MOA or better if I do my part. And, I could be satisfied with ½ MOA groups from a varmint rifle.

I do have to agree with majcl5 about Bushnell scopes. Our family mostly uses Leupold scopes, but I have been favourably impressed by the Bushnell Legend that came on my deer gun (it had been returned to the store, very lightly used, $500 for the whole thing). I do recognize that there is a certain “price point” factor with Bushnell optics, but at this point I don’t do enough “serious” hunting to warrant spending the extra cash. Thanks all.

Davis
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Welcome aboard Davis. Actually we have quite a few fellow Canucks that are members here. I'm from central Alberta myself. Lots of valuable info here in regards to anything 204 and other calibers as well. Oh yeah, and we all like "pics". :twisted:
Savage Vaporizer
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

Davis Goertzen wrote:
WaltherP99, I’m curious as to why you say that I’ll have to replace the stock on the SPS. You may very well be right, but could you just elaborate? If it helps you at all, my current deer rifle (the 7mm08) is a 700 SPS, which shoots MOA or better if I do my part. And, I could be satisfied with ½ MOA groups from a varmint rifle.

You won't necessarily HAVE to replace the stock. Some people who shoot the SPS rifles complain of the stock being to flimsy (especially if shooting off of a bipod) and believe that it hampers accuracy. If I remember correctly, the factory SPS stock also has the pressure pad which could do bad things with accuracy also. I replaced mine with a different stock for the above reasons.

Do a google search for Remington 700 SPS Varmint and click the first link. There's an excellent article there if ya wanna check it out.

Either way...Just a personal preference sorta deal I guess! :wtg:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Davis: Welcome aboard from a former Canuk (BC logging camps), by the sound of your bio, you'll fit in here just dandy. Warning: With all the willing "Purchasing Mentors" here, hide the credit card and check book now! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

majcl5 wrote:Walter is right it is a Muzzle Break . I put them on my Varmint rifles even the .204 's It makes an increadiable difference even on the .204's you can see so much more in your scope. KABOOM!!!!! SPLAT!!!!!
majcl5,

Who installed it? I ask because I've heard there is someone here in Western OR (may be as far south as Eugene) who installs muzzle breaks (I have a 300 WBY I'd like to get one put on).

Thx,
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Jim : Richs gun shop or rick i cant remember but he is in Donald Oregon near salem i had do the one on my sons gun and he a great job. I had a gunsmith in Oregon city do mine but he is no longer doing them . I am currently checking on one here in the O.C i am actully meeting him this weekend to check on doing one for my future son-in-law. If i remember i wil pm you with my results and thoughts. Were do you live in Oregon?
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: You may be referring to my good long-time friend and rat shooting buddy, Master Riflesmith Darrell Holland of Holland's Gunsmithing in Powers, Oregon:

http://www.hollandguns.com/index.html

Besides building some of the most accurate varmint and tactical rifles in the world for both LE, civilian, military (and agencies with initials we're not supposed to talk about), he designes and builds some of the finest muzzle brakes in existence, be it for sporter, tactical, or varmint use, he's the man. His new Quick Discharge brakes are the most effective units I've ever tested. The one in the below photo is ten years old, his new design is more efficient. I can see holes appear in paper targets, or virtually every rat launch through the scope.

Shooting my sleeved M700 (V-Block) Holland braked and Holland built .243 Ackley in SD. Dogs were on a creekbank below me at 660 yards. It made for some great shooting that day(70gr BT/Varget). The recoil was about like my 17HMRs.

If you decide to opt for the best, tell Darrell I sent you.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Post by long range dogr »

WaltherP99 wrote:
Thanx! It's quite the rifle!

The link BCB lists shows the regular SPS in stainless...mine is the SPS-V which is the heavy 26" barrel. For the life of me I can't seem to find it on the Remington site AT ALL! :)

As far as i know the stainless SPS-V is supposed to be a Cabelas exsclusive.I looked one over last weekend at the store in Sydney Nebraska.

At least thats what the salesman told me when i asked about it anyway.
WaltherP99

Post by WaltherP99 »

long range dogr wrote:

As far as i know the stainless SPS-V is supposed to be a Cabelas exsclusive.I looked one over last weekend at the store in Sydney Nebraska.

At least thats what the salesman told me when i asked about it anyway.
Might just be! That' where I got mine! :D