New CZ!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Guy M

New CZ!

Post by Guy M »

Had a .204 in a lightweight, good looking CZ 527. Turned out it just wasn't the right rifle for me - I wanted something with a heavier barrel. Sold the lightweight one a while back and finally, today, I picked up the Varminter version with the heavy barrel! This thing balances much better for me and hopefully I'll shoot it better.

I kept all the dies and loading components because I was sold on the cartridge - just didn't bond with the other rifle all that well. This one feels perfect. We'll see how it shoots once I find some rings to fit!

Dang, I'm excited to have a .204 again - was feeling the "no varmint rifle" blues... :D Cured that!

Photos and hopefully a range report/rock chuck report once I get a scope mounted...

Regards, Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: New CZ!

Post by Ray P »

Guy.........Congrads!!! on the new CZ. Good luck and hope she shoots straight and true. Both my Rem 700 sa are re-barrel with sendero contured Hart barrels the 1st has finished muzzle dia of .680 and the 2nd is a little heavier at .905. Yep I hear ya about balance and the heavier barrels will take the heat a bit better.
Later and good luck!
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Guy:

I am interesting in, and curious about the 527 American, which is the model I assume you had. Because it is offered in a lefthand version, I am interested in getting one. As with you, I would have preferred a heavier and longer barrel, but that is not offered in lefthand.

What kind of accuracy were you getting? And what ammo were you shooting.

Thank you for any input you may have.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Guy
Did you sell your maple stock CZ :huh: ?? I've been looking for one.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Steve - it was easily sub MOA, but I could not get it down below 3/4 MOA while messing with the loads.

Shot only a few loads:

factory:
Hornady 32 gr factory ammo - wouldn't quite break one-inch groups at 100 yards
Hornady 40 gr factory ammo - the CZ much preferred the 40 grain ammo, 3/4" groups were the norm

Handloads:
Hornady 40 gr V-Max over near max charge of BLC(2) - shot as well as the factory ammo, but not really any better. My ammo was loaded on Wilson dies and an arbor press with pretty fair attention to detail.

It was light, compact, and looked great. Seemed a little muzzle-light to me. Between the muzzle-light feeling and the so-so accuracy I sent it on its way. I think the accuracy could have been improved with a little work on the bedding, and messing with the handloads, but wanted a heavier barreled rifle anyway. I have seen the light - barrel version shoot really well and was a little disappointed that mine didn't do that. I've got a .308 that just pounds 'em in there with 1/2 MOA groups... Would like to better that with the .204 Ruger. We'll see!

Joe - yeah - I sold it here in town. Pretty little rifle.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Guy:

Thank you for the details!

I would be willing to spend a little time and a few bucks to make sure the barrel is floated, and that the bedding is good. I am in agreement with you about the accuracy: good, but not superb. If I could consistently get it to shoot .5 to .7 MOA or so with good handloads, I would consider that quite acceptable for the hunting I do.

On the other hand, a friend of a friend has a Tikka T3 Lite in 22-250, and claims it will consistently shoot about .25 MOA with handloads. Everything is relative.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: Congrats on the new CZ bud! A new rifle in the rack is always a very neat thing, but a known excellent performer like that one is even better. Maybe you need to make sure it works by trying it out on Skippy.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Skippy of Oregon is getting a visit in June... :D

My teenage son and I are getting ammo loaded up, making sure the rifles are squared away and we're going to hit the road after the school year is over, southbound! Meeting up with a buddy of mine, and blasting Skippy for a couple of days!

.22 long rifle Marlin 39A w/6x Leupold
.17 HMR CZ varminter w/3-9x Leuopld
.204 Ruger CZ 527 varminter w/12x Leupold
6mm Rem 700 BDL w/3.5-10x Leupold

Maybe the good ol' .308 Green Machine as well. It hates staying home!
Sask Boy

Post by Sask Boy »

Well I just picked up my south paw 527 this morning and I hope if the weather is half decent I will be out at the range tomorrow.
I know the barrel is a little short but if I can get under a 1'' moa @ 100 that should at least scare everything I shoot at.
I was advised by a friend before he passed that as long as I did not over heat the barrel I likely would not see alot of differnce.
After shooting the VLP for a few years this CZ feels like a feather, so I am hoping for good results once the load is figured out.
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Sask Boy wrote:Well I just picked up my south paw 527 this morning and I hope if the weather is half decent I will be out at the range tomorrow.
I know the barrel is a little short but if I can get under a 1'' moa @ 100 that should at least scare everything I shoot at.
I was advised by a friend before he passed that as long as I did not over heat the barrel I likely would not see alot of differnce.
After shooting the VLP for a few years this CZ feels like a feather, so I am hoping for good results once the load is figured out.
Did you get the light weight sporter or the varminter version?
Savage Vaporizer
Sask Boy

Post by Sask Boy »

I was advised that I could not get the varmiter in a lefty?
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan