Howa 1500 Loads

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
uplander
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500
Location: Gretna Nebraska....way too close to Omaha but will do for now

Howa 1500 Loads

Post by uplander »

Shot a bunch of rounds this past weekend.....the Howa ate up the 39 BK's and the 32? Bergers. I don't remember whether I loaded with Varget or Bench in each one. The Bergers shot awesome at all my load weights. I will have to look at my notebook, but the one I'm going to settle on had two overlapping and the third touch. I'm very pleased. I will post later with the exact powder charge and primer. Also, had about a 10 to 15 mph cross wind and the rounds all performed well..

OK...got back to my book....best loads - The 39sbk's were loaded w/ benchmark and CCI 450M's. I loaded them in fresh Rem. brass with a COAL of 2.260. The Howa liked all the powder charges (ranged from 23.9 to 25.7). All of these grouped very well and where I didn't pull, were at MOA or under.

The 40 grain Bergers seemed very finicky in the gun....I had those loaded with Varget and 450's. My best group was at 25.1 and that was right at 1". My gun did not like these bullets....I think I will try some different powder combinations to see if I can get anything better.

I also had some 32gr Noslers loaded w/ Benchmark and Fed 205M's and fresh Rem brass. My best group was at 26.9. These seemed to perform well and shots were never more than an 1.25"

As stated above, the 35 bergers ate up the paper....I had them loaded with Varget and BR4's. The tightest group was at 26.3grains and it easily would have fit into a dime....these bullets consistently shot excellent groups and I was very impressed.

Conditions: Temp was 45 - 50 with a cross wind of 10 to 15 mph. Shooting at a 100 yards. Don't have a chronograph so I don't know how fast they were moving. Not the most ideal conditions, but it's the only time I had to shoot. I shot laying down with a front and rear bag....the 204 is a joy to shoot!!!!

jlnolly
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Re: Howa 1500 Loads

Post by jlnolly »

Hello do they make a 55 grain bullet for the 204 ?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Berger makes a 55 grain .20 bullet, it's best suited for the bigger cases like the .20PPC and .20 BR, though, IMHO. It will NOT stabilize in factory 1-12" barrels, it requires something like a 1-8" twist, according to a Berger employee who posts on www.saubier.com.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jlnolly
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Post by jlnolly »

THank you Glen