GROUP SIZE

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

GROUP SIZE

Post by sixshooter »

So a friend of mine without much experiance with guns bought a savage .17 hmr at the same time that my son gave me one for Christmas. This is the only gun anybody ever gave me so I sighted it in and have shot it off and on since. My friend says that his has been bore sighted so it has to be right on. I explain that bore sighting is a starting point but not the end so I take him out to our range and we sight it in to shoot on at 100 yards. He is shooting just under 2 inches it is erratic breezy and his first time with a bench rest to shoot from. I pull mine out and shoot a smaller group but not enough to get excited about. Then I pull my .204 out. It is a ruger no. 1 so it is interesting buy itself if you have never seen one. I shoot 5 shots. 4 are under a 1/4 inch and a flyer opens it up to 1/2 inch. He shoots a bunch of different things like gongs and sillouett chickens that are lying around and gets pretty excited about .204's.

Anyway this gets me wondering what the postal match groups looked like. I followed a lot of discussion up until they were shot but did not see much on the results. What were the group sizes, how many shots, what types of guns. etc.?

Thanks
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: GROUP SIZE

Post by greystone »

They go from small to big. In my case-BIG. Gettin ready for this year. It's a fun contest. Dave
Guy M

Re: GROUP SIZE

Post by Guy M »

I like those Ruger Number One rifles. Glad yours is shooting so well!

I've had a couple of others in the past, but my current one is a 7mm Rem mag - and I'm not shooting itty bitty groups like you are, but it's not doing at all badly! I've often thought about getting one in .204 or some other varmint cartridge - the rifle seems like a natural for a varmint rig, if it delivers the necessary accuracy.

Regards, Guy