Bad .204 ruger groups STILL

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Bad .204 ruger groups

Post by Jim White »

My CZ didn't shoot that well out of the box either. But, a bedding and free float job took care of it.

Jim
Doc One Shot
.204 Ruger Guns: cz varmint

Re: Bad .204 ruger groups STILL

Post by Doc One Shot »

Just came back from the range. I shot 15 factory Hornady 32 vmax. Mu first shot was dead center, second was 1/2 in low left, third 1/2 high right. Next two holes touching, third shot 1 1/4 high left. Third group similar with third shot 1/2 low right.

Then I tried 27 gr h4895 with some Fed 205 primers ( loaded these earlier ).#1 center, #2 3/4 in center left, #3 1in high right,#4 1/2 in center high, #5 1 1/2 high left.

I don't know what to do other than send the rifle back.I don't think this is operator error, as I can set this gun down, pick up my .223 and shoot sub moa groups, go back to this and get bad groups.
I'm going to stop my my gunsmith's this am and see if he has any other ideas.
Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Doc
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Doc, most guns do not shoot up to their potential with factory wood stocks. I might suggest as others have noted, that a good glass job on the action and freeing up the barrel, would be the next course of action. My experience has been, most guns from the factory will need a little adjustment to bring out the best accuracy.

I think I would call CZ on it first and explain the problem. If they do not have an answer, then try bedding the action.

Lenard
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

This has a HS Precision alum. bedded stock.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Sorry Doc, the HS stock did not stick in my mind. I do know from reading here, that some of the guys will skim coat the bedding area to make sure it is correct, even with composite stocks.

A good smith should be able to tell you if the bedding is correct and as I experienced with crowns, I had to redo mine on a 700 Remington. The gun settled down to about 1/2" groups or smaller from 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups. I am sure you will get this worked out.
Doc One Shot

Post by Doc One Shot »

The gun went back to CZ today. I'll keep you posted
Doc
Frank

Post by Frank »

Doc, I have not read all the posts so this may be a repeat. Your groups (or lack of) are definitely abnormal... for ANY decent rifle.

With that said, the problem could be a multitude of reasons, however, have you tried another scope? I've seen scopes being the problem more than once is why I ask.

Here's a couple loads that I've seen work in several 204's including mine.

39 gr Sierra B.King
25grs RL10X
Win brass
Fed 205 match primer

Even a tad better in my rifle is 27grs of Benchmark with the same components. Try these, I'm betting you'll be glad you did.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I just recently purchased a 527 and on mine the mortice for the recoil lug wasn't machined deep enough. The barreled action would teeter on that pivot point with out the action screws in place. Ive bedded the rifle since then and it has become quite accurate. Just something to check. Dave
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I would also suggest experimenting with the distance of the bullet from the lands. As you may know, Stoney Point, Hornady, and others make a gauge to assist with this. Some rifles seem to be quite sensitive to this.

I will be interested to hear how this goes for you because a lefthand 527 in .204 is probably going to be my next rifle. I have a 452 in 17 HMR, and I have been very happy with it. I am lefthanded, and just wish that more lefthand models were offered by the manufacturers. CZ has been quite good for us lefties!
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")