Bipods

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Bipods

Post by darchell »

I know there have been posts on this in the past but I was unable to find the answers I was looking for. I am new at the varmint hunting, been hunting other critters all my life but the short to medium range varminting is new. Kinda cool too :lol: Anyway, I am looking for a bipod and will be getting the harris. I have noticed they have several different models. I will be shooting mostly prone. I am a rather... thick, guy. I am 6-01 250. I do not know if the 6-9" would do or if I should get the 9-13". I also beleiove I want the one that allows it to pivot. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, and good shootin.
fattrav10

Re: Bipods

Post by fattrav10 »

being of the same build I like the 9-13 pivot model.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm "short for my weight", too, and I think I'd go with the 6-9" also. I currently have two S-BR Harris bipods I use off the bench, but they are a bit uncomfortable when prone. No problems when I was in better shape. Actually, prone shooting in general isn't any fun any more....................... especially amongst the PD poop and cow pies, and rattlesnakes. :eew:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Here's a skinny guys experience. :stickman: The 6-9 was to short for field use with the thick clumpy grass we have here in the east. Now for match shooting,prone or bench, the 6-9 BR always gets the nod. The 9-13 at most "might" be a little uncomfortable on a flat hard surface, but always useable! Both might be needed as it was for me.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

darchell

Post by darchell »

Thanks. I am being swayed to the 9-13". I was just on the Harris web site. They talk about different mounting screws for different stocks. I am using the Savage VPL with the wood laminate stock. Will it mount right to it or do I have to by an accessory?
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Darren.....It will mount up fine to your existing front post. But..... be sure to order a "Pod-Loc" for your "S" swivel model "Harris" bi-pod. Yes there are cheaper bi-pods (chinese copys) but the "Pod-Loc" that fits the "Harris" wont fit the other ones (different diameter). Yes there is a company that makes a clone of the "Pod-Loc" that will fit them, the chinese one's (I think Natchez has them) "Sinclair" also sells the "Pod-Loc" for the Harris Bi-Pod. It will allow you to lock the bipod in place on an angle if you're on uneven surfaces. BTW, when im shooting Ground Hogs in New York state (Near Cortland) I prefer my .22-250 with Sierra 60gr. (#1375) bullets for bucking the wind and its down range energy, I dont want to see a chuck make it down its hole after a long distance hit. I limit shots to 400+ yards and although I own the same rifle (Savage 12VLP) and caliber (.204) as you IMHO I wouldn't feel comfortable using the .204 on eastern chucks beyond 300 yards because of the loss of energy beyond that, as a big chuck can take a hit and still make it down its hole. Thats why some shooters are using 6mm's (6mm-284) and larger at long distance for the wind bucking and the energy at long range. Just my two cents worth. :)
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
darchell

Post by darchell »

Giterdon, thanks for the reply, I was thinking around 300 yards would be my furthest for now anyway. I have a 6mm, also if the need for longer shots presented. The guy who farms these farms really wants them gone. They are causing much problems. The reason I chose a 204 to begin with was for the small caliber. Here is Southern NJ you have to be very carefull setting up and picking your shots. We are densly populated. i will only shoot when I have a large wooded backdrop. Due to all this I chose the 204 to be big enough, yet also small enough. If I get one way out that keeps daring me well then I may break out the 6mm if the shot is right. Thanks again for the advice I appreciate it.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Before you mount it up make sure the stud on your rifle sticks out far enough. If not, the bipod part that goes in the stud hole WILL scratch your nice stock!!! I think Savage puts studs in the stock with a 1/2 inch drive impact gun. If it looks like your stud isn't tall enough just go to Home Depot and pick up a Stainless washer with the same outside diameter as your stud. Take the stud out,slip on the washer and problem solved. One washer was all my VLP needed to mount a Harris without scratching the stock.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

darchell

Post by darchell »

Hawkeye, Thanks for the advice. I will check that. I like he look of the stock and would hate to ruin it.