Ballistic software - whats good?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
AussieDave
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Ballistic software - whats good?

Post by AussieDave »

Does anyone have experience with a ballistic program that allows you to compute POI shift (from existing POI) when changing bullet weights (given you can also add in the other variables such as fps, BC etc).

Currently my rifle is sighted in using my standard load and to then change to a differnt load requires resighting the rifle. I can of course do this all manually by measuring POI movement but was wondering if such a ballistic program exists.

The only programs I have come across calculate elevation, windage etc for a given load at a given zero range.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Dave
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Re: Ballistic software - whats good?

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I recently picked up Sierra's Infinity Ballistic software which gives you multiple trajectory charts and graphics, point blank range, calculate zero, uphill/downhill shooting, maximum range, minute of angle, profiled wind and all kinds of atmospherics variables that you can play with among a bunch of other stuff.

I haven't had a chance to play with it much but if Rick comes along he might be able to comment a little more on the software.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

For external ballistics such as you seek, I use Ken Oehler's "Ballistic Explorer". It does what you are asking. You can set up three different "traces" to compare them side by side at one time.

For internal ballistics, I use Quickload.

Mike
Factory Custom
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Scooter above has it spot-on. Quick-Load is probably the very best of the lot by far, and anything Dr. Oehler puts out just has to be the cats meow.

When I purchased my first ballistics software, it was the RCBS.Load....barely adequate. About a year ago I upgraded to Sierra Infinity 6.0 because funds were limited at the time, but if I had my druthers, I'd set up exactly as scootertrash has described. I'd be able to afford that combination IF I'd quit buying rifles, scopes, and the hard as chicken lips to find these days......components! :?

If you don't want to blow the farm on this purchase, then Sierra Infinity 6.0 is about the best choice. But if you want to spend more, then Quick-Load is the way to go IMHO.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

The "BOY's" have it spot on with Sierra's infinty 6 program. Quik Load also incoporates Quick target in there program. But you can only compare one load/ bullet combination at a time. Exbal from nightforce is good for field use, but only one one load / bullet combination at a time, not 3 like sierra allows. You can input loads and dump them to printer to compare. From what I hear Olher has the longest yardage out to 3500 yards, Quick Load and Exbal both go to 2500 yards.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

RIO/all, you can still do the same with Sierra's program. Export the info into excel and use the graphing function.
AussieDave
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by AussieDave »

Hi Folks thanks for all the replys.

Looks like Im off hunting for the Sierra software.

Cheers

AussieDave
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

I have using LOAD FROM A DISK for several years. It has some excellent features. There is an extensive bullet database including bullet manufactures such as barnes, berger, lapua, swift, woodleigh and all major ones . Good external ballistics and good graphic for trajectories. It also allows what if calculatlions concerning wildcat designs. You can calculate ballastic coefficent three different way.

I bought the Sierra program several years ago and found that it was not to my liking.