Savage Model 12 LP stock worth anything?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jarred15801
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Savage Model 12 LP stock worth anything?

Post by jarred15801 »

I was thinking about getting a stock with a thumbhole and selling the one that came on my gun. It's the brown laminate stock from a Savage model 12 LP .204, seems liek a nice stock and in excellent shape, id just prefer something different. Would this stock be worth anything to sell it?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Savage Model 12 LP stock worth anything?

Post by glenn asher »

Sharpshooter Supply sells them for about $175, so yes, they ARE worth something. I think they are the best stock Savage puts out, personally. Put it in our "for sale" section, and see if anyone bites. I'd like to have it, but I'm trying to pay off some bills before buying anything new.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jarred15801

Post by jarred15801 »

Yeah i agree it does seem like a good stock but just want soemthign different and if i can get roughly $175 bucks i'd say it is worth selling and not just lettign lay around. The new stock i want is right around $200, so hope fully it would almost pay for the new one. Thanks
SpentPrimer
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by SpentPrimer »

I'm greener than new grass at this so will just ask. Do you know if your stock will fit a Savage Model 12FV in 204 Ruger? At present it has a black stock and I am thinking about going to a wooden one. Thank you for your time and I await your reply (or anyone's who already knows the answer).
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Savage now has two flavors of short action receivers now - staggered feed and centerfeed.

Staggered feed receivers - the mag box is attached to the bottom of the receiver.

Centerfeed receivers - mag box stays in the stock.

The action screw hole spacing is different between the two....so...you have to know what you have to buy a stock to fit.

GOOD question!!!
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Post by ACLakey »

Here is some Savage action and hole spacing info that may help. Make sure you check first.

All Long Actions = 5.062" (1958 to present, staggered feed magazine)
1st. Gen Short Actions = 4.522" (1959 to 1987, staggered feed magazine)
2nd Gen Short Actions = 4.275" (1998 to 2006, staggered feed magazine)
3rd Gen Short Actions = 4.400" (2006 and up, center-feed magazine)
jarred15801

Post by jarred15801 »

so does anyone know if my stock will work then on his gun?
SpentPrimer

Post by SpentPrimer »

I tried to measure the distance between the action screws and as close as I can tell the measurement is about 4.350. If it would help the serial number is G7298XX. As the rifle is shooting better than I can hold I was afraid to remove it from the stock to make better measurements, as I have no way to ensure the screws could be returned to their present tension.
jarred15801

Post by jarred15801 »

Also, i just remembered this. When i had my gun apart and was cleaning it that the mag box was attached to the bottom of the receiver. So i guess i have the second generation short action with the staggered feed mag box. So the bolt spacing must be 4.275" on mine. Spent Primer i guess youll have to take your stock off and see where your mag box is attached to clarify if my stock will work on your gun. If it will work on your gun then we can try to work out a deal.
SpentPrimer

Post by SpentPrimer »

Jarred: I just went through a learning experience. I removed the two action screws (no easy feat as the front one had what appeared to be red loctite on the last three threads), I then placed the screws back into the receiver and measured the distance from outside to outside. Then, I measured the two screws finding them to be .046 . I subtract this from my earlier measurement and found the result to be 4.265 give or take. Lastly, the magazine is dovetailed into the botton of the receiver so it would appear I have a second generation rifle also. I am interested in talking to you about your stock. I think I can find any messages sent to me.
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

The wood stock off of my Vlp will work on my Fv. I have both the 204 Savage FV and also the 204 Savage VLP and the stock will fit. Also it will make your FV look like a different gun. I don't remember what I paid for it but I replaced the factory stock with a DuraMax from B&C.. on the FV and it is way better than the tuperware..