Remington SPS Varmint

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
stevecrea

Remington SPS Varmint

Post by stevecrea »

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the Remington SPS Varmint? I am interested in several issues, including, the new X-Mark Pro trigger, whether the stock is truly free floated, and its accuracy potential. I am interested in long range varminting, so .5 MOA or so would be my general criterion, with .243 handloads. Does this model use any special bedding, etc?

I understand that Remington cold hammer forges its barrels. If anyone has knowledge or comments about this, I would be interested.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Re: Remington SPS Varmint

Post by tckurt »

I have a used one I bought from a gunsmith that he put togather from parts.
sps action and a new take off 243 barrel sps heavy 26" and trigger at 2lbs
a hogue aluminum bed block stock and it will group hornady 87hp bullets in one ragged hole at 100yds with H4350 I am sure you will like it,as for the factory stock I have no idea.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

tckurt:

Thank you for the input. Do you have the old Remington trigger or the new X-Mark Pro? Or, is it an aftermarket?

When you say, "one ragged hole", is that 1/4 inch or so? If so, that is fantastic, in my book. What velocity are you estimating with the Hornadys?
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

it is an old trigger
they run 2960 fps Hornady 87 hp
the groups will run smaller than a dime
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Steve, I think it is a crapshoot as whether the new Rem. triggers will suffice. You can roam the various websites about varmint hunting and get two points of view. It seems like those that are satisfied with a 2 lb trigger say they are ok. My experience is that I cannot get the same pull weight from mine, as it varies 8 or 10 oz's. I have removed mine and replaced it with a model that goes from 8 oz's to 1 1/2 lbs. That more suits my needs.

There are also issues with the composite stock as it is very flexible.

Lenard
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Lenard:

Thank you for the input.

I remember reading an article about the SPS Varmint (I cannot remember where), and the tester commented that the stock was quite flexible in the forend area, and accordingly, the barrel was not always completely floating. He further commented that he put the action into a replacement, higher end stock (perhaps a Hogue or McMillan or Bell & Carlson, but cannot recall), and that the groups tightened up substantially.

Accordingly, I may lean toward the Remington VSF, because the stock is stiffer, with a bedding plate, and is truly free floated. However, in lefthand, the VSF is only offered in .223, 22-250, and .308. No .243, etc.
kiwi68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by kiwi68 »

I have one and the only up grade I have done is to have the trigger lighten to 2 lbs, it regularly under half inch groups at 100mters all day long, but it only like the 45 gram Horndy SP ammo, I tried all the other brands and bullet weights but the 45's are preferred ammo.

Here a couple photos of what it can do to Hare's

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have one it really likes the 40 gr pills. I am loading some with IMR4064 and hope to do some shooting this week. I have a elite 4200 6x24x40 mounted on it now. I loaded some 40 gr w/ 28.1 grs varget and was getting a very good .5 group, anxious to see how the IMR does....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC