Problems with BRAND NEW KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Problems with BRAND NEW KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dannybracy »

My father in law just got a new Custom Crimson Carry, and the mag release button is stuck in. It has some wiggle, but it wont return back to original position to grab the magazine catch on the mag. So you don't hear the "click" and the mag wont stay in the mag well. The mag just drops back out. On the right side of the frame(direction you push the release button towards) the whole button is sticking out about a 1/16" out. We tried lubing it up and wiggling it back and forth and tapping it back in lightly but it wont give! Any suggestions? Thanks -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Problems with BRAND NEW KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That should not be, obviously, but very simple to correct as the Kimber 1911's disassemble just like any other 1911. I'm assuming that if you/he owns a 1911 .45, you are familiar with complete stripping of the pistol. If not, exploded views are all over the internet, books, military instruction manuals, et al. Most likely a piece of crap is stuck in the mag release inside the frame, maybe a piece of frame material from the machining process. As all those pistols are test fired prior to leaving the factory, it probably worked it's way in there after shipping.

Of course for the money that piece cost, you can always return it to the factory if you call them first, but really Danny, it's a simple fix. Just for the record, I own three Kimbers, and they've been the absolute most reliable 1911's I've ever owned. So much in fact, I sold all my Colt 1911's.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Rick, I agree, a costly, but very fine piece!!! The zip tied tags on the trigger guard hadn't even been taken off yet. I took it apart and didn't see anything in there. I lubed it all back up again. Used the allen wrench to get it to "fall" back into place. Then working the mag, it would catch open again, so used the allen wrench again, worked the mag. Did that a few times, then one time it stuck open and the mag broke the release button free. Now it seems to be working......

So I would assume, that it was just a burr or something that I felt "give way" when the mag went in that one time. Working it in and out about 100 more times it "caught" 3-4 more times, but working the mag busted it back loose.

SO.... I chock one up for a brand new gun and tight machining tolerances. Knew it couldn't be a real tough fix, but this is the first 1911 either of us have owned. I have drooled over one for a long time and got him interested in them. Now he owns one(along with the .22 conversion kit) and I am still drooling!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help Rick. -Dan

P.S., did I mention drooling....ahhhhhh. Now I REALLY want one!
***Danny Bracy***

BillC
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by BillC »

Not too uncommon an issue and one that is very easy to correct.
Since most of these are packed with polishing compound when you get them, they tend to hang.
Take a good look at this picture and the part that looks like an allen screw.

That IS NOT a screw!
It is a plunger and only has about 90 degrees of rotation available from one end to another. If you try to unscrew it, you will either ruin the head or shear something off. Either way, it's a trip back to Kimber.

Here is how to correct the issue:
Find an allen wrench that fits the little head correctly. I believe it is a 1/16.
While moving the magazine catch from left to right, GENTLY try to turn the plunger counter clockwise while pushing in on the allen wrench. You are pushing from right to left on the allen wrench while you are moving the magazine release from left to right. You are just trying to get everything ligned up. The plunger should turn a few degrees to the left and stop. At that time, the whole magazine catch can easily be removed by sliding it from left to right. Everything has to be lined up just right, so take your time. When you have the assembly out of the pistol, it will look like this:
If you look at my poor picture carefully, youcan see that the plunger is down in the catch and the tab on the plunger is now in a machined slot in the catch. With your allen wrench and keeping some down pressure on the plunger, turn it clockwise till the tab is in the slot and it can be removed. CAREFUL! It is under spring pressure.
Once you have the plunger out, remove the spring (it shoud fall out or slip out with the help of a small piece of wire or a toothpick).
Here is the magazine catch disassembled.
Now, clean everything up, grease the spring and plunger, then put the mag release assembly back together. Slip it in to the pistol, re-insert the allen wrench in the plunger head and while pushing down on the allen wrench / plunger, gently push the release from left to right. When everything aligns correctly, the plunger will turn to the right, engaging a slot machined in the frame.
Remove the allen wrench and your pistol is fixed.

Sorry about not digging out the good camera, but I'm flying to China tomorrow and I'm tired.

P.s. Rick is right. For what these things cost, one should never encounter such a problem, but it happens.

Edit: You fixed your pistol while I was taking mine apart and shooting pictures. Oh well. By the way, I have seen the little plungers that had a rough line around the head and it would snag in the magazine catch slot. This isn't a high precision part and it is perfectly acceptable to remove that ridge with a jeweler's file. It is also sometimes benificial to 'polish' the bore for the plunger with a small rolled-up piece of 400 grit sandpaper. Just make sure to get all the gunk and grit out of the plunger bore before greasing everything and putting it all back together.

Bill.
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

BILL C, HOLY CRAP BAT MAN. Thank you for that write up. I saw the plunger piece that you were talking about when I got it out of the frame. All I can say is that sometime I hope that I will be able to help you out with something. You went far and way outta your way, very above and beyond the call of duty!!! I thank you and appreciate it very much. VERY COOL!!!!!

So many nice people with experience helping others out! That is why I LOVE this site. You just won MVP OF THE YEAR in my book with that write up!!!!!

In Gratitude! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Have you shot a Taurus 1911 yet?
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Nope, havn't even shot the Kimber yet!!! But now we got her all taken care of and put to bed, so hopefully she will be ready to go in the morning!!!! Do you have one that you like? =Dan
***Danny Bracy***

BillC

Post by BillC »

You are most welcome.

The guys here are more like family than just a bunch of people on an internet board.
I did no more for you than has been done for me.

My Kimber Ultra is my carry gun, along with a Springfield Champion that I bobtailed. I prefer the 1911 over any other centerfire hand gun I have ever shot. I like "cocked and locked" carry as well.
When you fire the gun, keep your thumb on the thumb safety. This will force the gun to ride lower in your hand and it will be much easier to hit with. Recoil is quite managable, even out of the little 3 inch guns (I have a 3, 4, and 5). Comparing the little Kimber to a S&W Model 66 LadySmith (38 special loads) my wife has, I believe the Kimber is gentler and easier to shoot well.

Before you take it to the range, take it apart, clean it well, and oil it heavily. After 500 rounds or so, you can cut back some on the oil. Don't freak if you have to adjust the extractor (ejection erratic or cases clipping the ejection port on the way out). This is a 'quirk' of the 1911 and once remedied, isn't likely to become an issue again.

Kimber gets a lot of bashing and some of it is deserved. On the other hand, they build around 60,000 guns a year, so they are likely to have an issue or two. Yes, they are over priced and some folks even call them "designer" guns. That being said, they are very fine firearms in my experience, and mine has been absolutely reliable.

Once you discover the trigger of a 1911, you will understand why that design is over 100 years old and still going strong.

Edit: P.s. Do a search on "Idiot Scratch" before you take the gun apart. An idiot scratch is easily avoided.

Now, off to the airport.

Bill.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Danny: Glad to hear the Kimber is again up and running. Even high quality pistols like this sometimes leave the factory with gunk in them, it's just life, but glad you solved the problem quickly.

Bill C: That was a very nice concise disertation for someone getting ready to fly across the Pacific in the morning, not to mention taking the time to disassemble his own pistol, shoot photos, post, and write the instructions. Many thanks for helping Danny out....he's right; that WAS above and beyond, and again proves that this particular forum is more than just a bunch of internet guys, but truly a sort of extended family. Thank you for the help you gave me and others with the computer issue, and now Danny with his pistol.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BillC

Post by BillC »

Rick,
You and the rest of the guys humble me.
Even though I am on the other side of the international date line at the moment, this board is one of the things that helps me to feel home isn't so far away.

I really don't have much to offer, as my job often takes me to foreign countries. I don't even get to shoot much. I'm not an expert at anything, just an old guy who loves guns and loves to shoot. I really want to contribute something of value. I did not come here for a 'free ride'.

Flames are pretty rare on this board and I don't recall ever seeing any name calling done maliciously. That speaks volumes to the character of the people here and I am honored to be numbered among you.

Bill.
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Bill, I can already promise you that you have gained many buddies here for you with your insight and personal character. Hope I can help you sometime! Hope you get your job done and make it home soon to do some shootin! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***