One Sweet 204!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

One Sweet 204!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

One of the nicest 204 Ruger chambered rifles I've ever seen graces this months cover of Precision Shooting Magazine. It is a true work of art, built by one of the masters himself, Bill Shehane of D&B Supply, a champion BR shooter, and holder of some impressive 1,000 yard records.

Details of the rifle: Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool & Gauge supplied the 204 Ruger match reamer, Dan Lilja produced the #5 contour 26" stainless 12 twist fluted barrel with a 90* target crown, Bruce Thom at BAT Machine did the small, 6" 1.35" dia. right bolt, left port action, one pound trigger w/different trigger hangers in order to perfectly time the trigger with the spiral fluted bolt. The stock is one of Bill Shehane's Varmint/Benchrest patterns with a rounded-off forend with a bottom cooling vent, one QD stud for bipod, and checkered in 22 LPI. The wood is a stunning laminate of African Obeche in French Walnut color with gloss finish to match a companion LR rifle Bill had previously built. Scope of course is an excellent Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X x 50mm with the R-2 reticle in BAT Machine 30mm rings.

Any of us should be so fortunate to have such a beautiful example of a 204 Ruger in our safe! Bet this baby shoots too! ;)

(All the above shamelessy reproduced without permission from either Bill or Dave Brennen of PS, as I figure it's a nice plug for all involved)

Sidebar: acloco...there's also Part I of a good two part article in this issue of the 22/6mm I thought you'd enjoy.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: One Sweet 204!

Post by Ray P »

Rick........thanks for sharing. Yep I meet Bill S. at one of match at the 1000 yard club here in Pa. Definatley a man full of knowledge, like yourself! Got one of his stocks for Sako M-995 action, in grey/ rose lamiinate. Neve got my smith to finish the inleting and barrel channel. So it still sits in the box.
Great to see the little 204 ruger getting a custom face lift. I'm still a little bias on your Sako 75 in 204 R..........Thats realy one sweet rife you have sitting your bench in some of the pics your posted.
Later
Ray P. :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: Yep, Bill is quite the craftsman as well as an accomplished marksman. I'm doubtful I'm in the same knowlege or skill class as him however, but thanks for the vote of confidence. :D I did business with him when I had Varmint Masters LLC, selling the BR Pivot. He even won a few 1K yard matches shooting from my bench. Eventually I'll have him build me a rifle, and it will not differ too much from the sweetie pictured here (except mine will be matte finish all around). If your Shehane stock was inletted for an action I already own, I'd be trying to horse trade you out of it right now. :mrgreen:

My Sako 75V 204 is all scrubbed and clean, her ammo cans with 32 & 39 SBK's are full, and she's all ready for the upcoming varmint season here, along with "The Silver Princess of Death", my custom M700 with the 11 twist Pac-Nor barrel. I'm right now working on some 40gr Nosler BT loads (RL10X & Benchmark) for SPOD with Nosler brass I picked up over at the factory last week when visiting wifey. I'm very interested to see how that 11 twist works with the 40 grainers. If it works as well as with the 39's, I'll be one happy camper indeed. That Nosler sure is nice brass (of course we all know it's Norma by now).

The shot below was one of "those days", as the rats on the far side of the lake at around 610 yards thought they were safe, and frolicked about......until those 39gr SBK's ruined their entire day. :lol:

It's days like that one that make this entire effort about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Where is this fine mag sold?

How did you know that I fireformed some brass on Saturday?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: I subscribe, but also see it in Barnes & Noble too. A guy such as yourself should probably get this one in his mailbox every month......

As for "knowing".......I see everything, Grasshopper.......... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Orion2see
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varminter

Post by Orion2see »

Beautiful rifle - I too am glad to see the .204 getting attention in the custom rifle department. More and more are being built each year.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Rick in Oregon wrote:acloco:
As for "knowing".......I see everything, Grasshopper.......... :lol:
Do you know where the 308 Savage varmint barrel is? Lost in the mail to me? Or did the other party send it yet?

:)

Barnes & Noble does not list this magazine online. :(
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I like my 204 alot, so much that I am saving toward a new one. This time I am going to hold out for a better grade. I am leaning toward a KIMBER pro varmint 84M. I was considering a COOPER but not since his support of Obama. A rumor is that they sold anyone know for sure and who bought......
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick: Wow, that is a fantastic rifle! Easily one of the most beautiful .204's that I have ever seen.

Medic52: Are you asking if Cooper (the company) sold? I'm fairly certain that the company did not change hands. Dan Cooper resigned after the backlash from the Obama contributions, though.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Read somewhere that a guy called wilson now owns Cooper, i dunno! KB. :doh: :?
' Pay it forward buddy '
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

precisionshooting.com or 860-645-8776
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: If you call PS at the number Lee was kind enough to list, they'll send you a sample copy of the current issue. It has Part I of the 22/6mm article. If/when you subscribe, you'll then get Part II when it comes out next month.

Medic52: Cooper Arms of Montana did indeed sell, and Wilson is the new owner. Wilson is the manufacturer of barrels, and has been around for a long time. I understand there will be no change of management, product line, or shop employees, so Cooper quality should remain the same for the foreseeable future. Dan Cooper sold his interest in the company, and I'm sure he regrets supporting Nobama, as the internet was awash with angry gun owners who were quite upset (understandably) about his political choice. I plan on a Cooper in the future, and would not hesitate to purchase one now that Wilson has ownership of the company.

As an aside, our buddy here BCB is quite sure that a Cooper rifle is better quality than a Kimber. I dunno myself, only owning one Kimber rifle, my M84 Varmint in 204 Ruger. It has georgious Carlo walnut, the workmanship seems on a par with semi-custom production rifles, and seems to shoot extremely well. Our fellow 204um member, KIM204 sure likes his, so it appears this could all be purely subjective, at least to me right now.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:.....our buddy here BCB is quite sure that a Cooper rifle is better quality than a Kimber. .
LOL...!! Are you fishing, Rick?

When you told me via PM that you hope I keep posting, it this the format you meant for me to respond in...? "our buddy"

I own both makes of rifles and have stated my thoughts. If I responded anymore with my "keyboard" it would probably piss off certain Yankees who drop their drawers to communicate...
Hawkeye Joe wrote:....This is where I lower myself to your level. :loser: :bum:
-BCB
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BCB: Not fishin' or trying to ruffle any feathers in any way, believe me. As you've owned both brands, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and myself only having owned a Kimber rifle, can't really comment further, and won't. Once a Cooper lands in my hands here, I'll most likely be able to quantify an opinion also, but until then, I'll just continue to drool over the wood I see on most of the Coopers I see here and in the hands of fortunate friends, and shoot my Kimber 204R.

Keep posting for sure.....we all should have thick skin if we venture out on the internet with opinions, just as in "real" life. I consider any of us regular posters here on the 204 forum as "buddies", as we all have the same interest.

Sidebar: For anyone interested, I have for sale or trade (for a Cooper naturally), a pristine Charles Daly Superior Grade (cased) 20ga. O/U with all the "right stuff". PM with any interest & photos.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Cooper Arms of Montana did indeed sell, and Wilson is the new owner. Wilson is the manufacturer of barrels, and has been around for a long time. I understand there will be no change of management, product line, or shop employees, so Cooper quality should remain the same for the foreseeable future. Dan Cooper sold his interest in the company, and I'm sure he regrets supporting Nobama, as the internet was awash with angry gun owners who were quite upset (understandably) about his political choice. I plan on a Cooper in the future, and would not hesitate to purchase one now that Wilson has ownership of the company.
Thanks for the info, Rick. I wasn't aware of Cooper being purchased by Wilson.