The Bedding Job Was A HUGE Success

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

The Bedding Job Was A HUGE Success

Post by Wiiings12 »

Took the 204 down to my buddies cabin to try and shoot some coyotes or whatever, and give the new scope a test of course. All this being after my rather sketchy bedding job. I was extremely pleased to find my remington cuts holes @ 200 yards now, and shoots about .4 in groups @ 300, but I am assuming that's just me. I thought it shot well before bedding.. but HOLY CRAP!
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: The Bedding Job Was A HUGE Success

Post by surfclod »

That good to hear, I plan to do my first bedding job here as soon as I get my new recoil lug in the mail.

Had some decent weather at the range yesterday so went through 82 rounds and I got horizontal stringing every so often, I am hoping that a bedding treatment will stop this annoyance.

What kit or material did you use?? I picked up a AcraGlas kit from a local shop but I have read of others using Devcon products as well.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

I used the acraglas gel kit. My advice would be to tape off your gun BEFORE you even open the box. I didn't and got all excited and almost ruined my gun.. Luckily, with a little elbow grease I was able to fix er' up and it shoots better than ever now
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Wiiings12 wrote:I used the acraglas gel kit. My advice would be to tape off your gun BEFORE you even open the box. I didn't and got all excited and almost ruined my gun.. Luckily, with a little elbow grease I was able to fix er' up and it shoots better than ever now
Yes, I have more blue masking tape than sense. I put down the tape then wax the stock with auto wax. If you get that stuff on the metal where the release agent missed, don't despair, a little Jasco paint remover jell with methylene chloride will soften it right up for removal with a Popsicle stick. Then just wipe it clean. Use it out of the stock, though - it will strip finish faster than a whistle in a whirlwind. I always get a blob on my nitrile gloves that transfers to the bead blasted stainless barrel underneath where it can't be seen until its cured. No matter how careful I am, it just happens - epoxy fingerprints on the barrel, what a slob! Now I even tape up the part of the barrel that will be floated or is outside the stock. Heck, tape up the top of the action and wax it too. Now I place plastic sandwich wrap in the hollows of the stock and fill every cavity with modeling clay and then trim the wrap with an Exacto knife- the plastic wrap allows me to pull the clay out without it sticking to the wood. That way the magazine well and trigger mortise remain epoxy free. I stuff clay into every nook and cranny of the action too - especially the trigger pin holes and the bolt release slot.

If you think bedding alone is good, work up the courage to try a pillar bedding job - Score High Gunsmithing makes a good kit. They even rent the drilling jig for Remington actions. http://www.scorehi.com My rifles tightened up so much I went back and bedded them all with the pillars.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

wiiings: Glad the job went well. The more rifles you bed, the better you'll get at it, and also raise your confidence level.

Wrangler John: That sandwhich wrap idea seems like a good one I hadn't thought of before, and I'll be trying it on the next bedding job. It's always a pain removing the modeling clay out of the action crannies. Thanks for the tip. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails