Browning A Bolt Composite Stocker in 204 Ruger?????

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Browning A Bolt Composite Stocker in 204 Ruger?????

Post by FireBallGuy »

Found this little gem at a local gun shop in the used rack. Excellent condition, includes leupold bases and rings but I am a little hesitant. Not much for buying used guns especially after my 204 experiences of the past year. Have no idea how well the gun was cleaned if at all but the price is right but I need some feedback frok you guys. Anyone own one of these or have some info on how good this gun is? I like the capacity, the weight and the 24" barrel of medium heavy profile. It was my understanding that browning never chambered for the 204 ruger that is why this gun sounds good. Any thoughts or commenys would be appreciated. Need some feedback before I do the deal. Thanks everyone.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Browning A Bolt Composite Stocker in 204 Ruger?????

Post by glenn asher »

Browning DID make some, a run for SHOT Show only sales. They were never cataloged in the normal sense. There have been some posts here regarding them, but it was a year or two ago. I haven't heard much about them, so they didn't make too many, and they weren't distributed thru the regular channels.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FBG: My industry sources tell me that Browning made a small run of the A-Bolt Composite Stalker in 204 Ruger, but not many. Just a few were made up and given to some of the writers to evaluate and write about in the firearms press.

Can't answer for sure, but that sounds like it may be one of those rifles, and it's found it's way to your local gun shop somehow. In the current issue of Varmint Hunter Magazine, one of the writers shoots this rifle, and tells his experience with it; all favorable I might add.

I'd scoop it up, as all the A-Bolt's I'm familiar with have all been quite good shooters, and the fact that you've found one in 204R may be a real bonus. If you purchased it and for some reason didn't like it, I don't think you'd have any trouble unloading it for what you paid for it. Just my $0.02 FWIW.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Interesting guys......I have not made up my mind for sure but I am liking this little gun alot......just may have to dig in again.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Cant seem to find the link of which you speak, could you post it for me? This gun seems so right that I am seriously fighting temptation.......AGAIN!!!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FBG: Don't have a link but here's the info I do have for you:

Varmint Hunter Magazine, Issue No. 69, Jan/March 2009, Page 181. Article titled "The Browning A-Bolt and a Varmint Bonanza in Wyoming" by Dr. George E. Dvorchak, Jr.

On this PD shoot, he shot the A-Bolt chambered in both 204 Ruger and the 223WSSM. Scott Grange of Browning said that they are in a transition from the A-Bolt to the new X-Bolt, and the 204 may be available in '09, and only a very limited run of the A-Bolt in 204R had been done in 2008 as a special 'show run' as previously noted.

The A-Bolt you're drooling over will be like chicken lips very soon....impossible to find. Don't wait too long, or someone else will take her home..... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... ing+rifles

Here's one post, don't read too much into this particular post, but do a "Search" on "Browning rifles" and there's a few others as well.

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... ing+rifles Here's another, somewhat more favorable.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Very, very interesting......going to find out if I can get a hold of the guy who owned it and find out why he decided to dump a rather rare gun in favor of a 243.......it is calling to me.......BUY ME!!!!
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

If it calls too loudly, just plug your ears and go "NANANANANANANANANANANA" and maybe it'll go away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I've seen a couple of them at the famous Uncle Lee's store down in Central City, KY, they seemed like nice enough rifles, especially for A-bolt fans. I am decidedly neutral on A-bolts, I haven't got enough experience with them to make an opinion, but they have legions of fans for their .22 Hornet Micro Models, which are apparently ALL very, very good shooters.
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Going to call the store tomorrow and have them set it aside for me.............CAN"T TAKE THE VOICES ANYMORE!!!!! Just hope this guy had a clue on the care and feeding of a varmint rifle......otherwise days of cleaning will ensue........
B-78
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning,Tikka.

Post by B-78 »

Just wondering if you bought the gun yet or not. If it has a medium heavy 24" barrel it is likely the varmint stalker model and they were not that rare around here. SIR had 6 in stock when I bought mine 2 yrs ago. WSS had some in stock as well but never had them listed in thier catalouge. Mine is a gopher killing machine with 40gr Vmaxs as I don't use it for predator hunting much since I found a Browning Stainless stalker in 204 that was only made for a Shot Show special.
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Nope, kind of leary about buying a used gun because I dont know how this guy may have taken care of it. If it is junk I have no recoarse at all. I think I will pass as they want a bit much for this thing given it is used. I work at cabellas/SIR and this gun is at wholesale Sports.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

FBG: Why not just go in and inspect the rifle? Pull the bolt, check the throat, muzzle crown, bolt lug wear, and for obvious signs of wear or abuse, and then decide if it's worth the asking price.

I've purchased many used rifles, and if they pass inspection, all have turned out to be shooters. I've also passed some up after a decent on-site inspection that had problems with one or more of the above details.

Unless you really check it out, you're doing yourself a dis-service, as you could also end up buying a new rifle from work that turned out to be a real toad, then you'd have zero recourse. Just a thought....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA