Accuracy ?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Accuracy ?

Post by ultralightshooter »

Hey guys, I was wonder how often you should clean a gun to keep it shoting accurate? How long does it take from a clean bore before a gun will start losing accuracy? Any info helps!Thanks
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Accuracy ?

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My Savage barrels need to be cleaned after about 40-50 rounds with a slow fire keeping barrel heat to a minimum. My Les Baer on the other hand will shoot 100+ rounds fast and furious and clean up with 4 or 5 patches. The three main factors for accuracy loss are Velocity,barrel heat and bore smoothness. Loosing control of one factor severally effects the other two.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

It depends mostly on the barrel itself. If you read other posts on this forum you will see different shot numbers. Me personally, I like to clean my guns every time I go out. Living in the east, I don't get to melt my barrel an PDs like folks out west. But I make sure my barrel is cleaned every time I get home if I have shot anything at all.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

I leave mine fouled for hunting if under 30 rounds have been fired. Any more than that, I clean it then dry it out before shooting again.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I clean mine whenever I bring them back from shooting. This can range anywhere from 20 to 250 rounds. So far I havn't seen any accuracy issues with either of my savages.
Savage Vaporizer