Reading target group characteristics.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Reading target group characteristics.

Post by Clover_Shooter »

In a different forum post-
Reloading the 204- Post subject: where to go from here.
I did want to hijack that thread!
Rich V - said-
both vertical and horizontal stringing with fliers. Some fliers may be from gusting winds, bedding, loose scope, ect. Vertical strings could be from load variances, or just from breaking your wrist, pushing forward or droping your head when firing. Horizontal strings can be caused from as little as too much or too little trigger finger and thumb pressure.
I had not heard of some, such as- breaking your wrist or too little trigger finger and thumb pressure.

So lets talk about group reading, reasoning and results. Maybe see some targets examples!

Is group reading best done at 100 yards?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Clover_Shooter on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Group reading.

Post by Lenard »

I would say that the most important part of shooting off a bench is making sure everything is done the same each time. That includes how tight one grips the gun and changing position on the stock with the hand. The second thing is that the face should be locked into the same place on the stock each time. In other words, we need to do things the same as they would be done in a mechanical rest. Changing the angle of how we grip a stock will make a change in the poi.

A gun book that I have is The Accurate Rifle, by Warren Page where he explains a number things, including how to diagnose problems with the bedding of a rifle. Not in current publication, but might be found on Amazon.

Lenard
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Two other excellent sources are the books "The Ultimate Varmint Rifle" by Boyd Mace, and "Extreme Rifle Accuracy" by Glenn Newick, both available from Precision Shooting.

As you said Lenard, consistency is the name of the game when it comes to rifle shooting, especially from the bench.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I read it by myself, :chin: might be better with a group :lol: . This book is a very good read!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

Hawkeye Joe,

Is the picture you posted a magazine or book? I thought it was a magazine, but wasnt sure. I checked on the precison shooting website, but couldnt find the book. I am very interested in getting a copy!

Tyler
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

It's a book, and I got the name incorrect when I posted from the hospital....going from memory on the title; CRS sets in..... Sorry for any confusion. You may have to call Dave Brennen at PS to see if there's any copies left in his stash.

I think the other book by Boyd Mace (The Accurate Varmint Rifle) may be out of print, but it's an excellent book written by a real varmint and varmint rifle enthusiast, and is full of excellent material. It covers about everything asked about here on the forum, as does Glenn's book that Mike pictured.

For up to date information, the new Sinclair Book of Precision Shooting and Handloading may now be available. I've got the 10th edition, and it's a gold mine of info for anyone interested in precision shooting and handloading. A call to Sinclairs should get you going, and if it's not ready yet, bug them and let them know there's LOTS of guys waiting on it!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

xr10065669

Post by xr10065669 »

Thanks for that fast reply! I will get to looking to see if I can get a copy of that. i am very interesting in gaining knowledge in that area. I am new to reloading (just started this past summer) and now I want to learn more!
xr10065669

Post by xr10065669 »

I checked Sinclair and they didnt have the new version on there. I found the same book you have, the 10th edition on Amazon, but the book is not currently avaliable. Ill keep searching!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Rick
You had me thinking Glenn Newick had another book.
xr100
It's a soft cover book about 3/4 of an inch thick. If you don't have any luck finding one let me know.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

You can buy The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy on Amazon for around 2.50 to 2.75...
Clover_Shooter

Post by Clover_Shooter »

Thanks for the input on the books. I have never bought on book online but feel I need a couple of them.

Over the summer I installed a Jewel Target Trigger. This improved overall grouping. It also made the other culprits for inconstant shooting apparent. For me breathing, shoulder pressure and grip.

From looking at before and after trigger replacement groups, I need to go back and re-evaluate some loads.

In some other readings I do not understand how seating depth can cause horizontal stringing.
"If you have horizontal stringing, decrease the seating depth. If you have vertical stringing increase your seating depth."Was this to say seating depth won't cause vertical stringing! Don't remember where I read that.
Also how can a firing pin can cause vertical stringing!

Thanks, Dave
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Here's the other book mentioned above, "The Accurate Varmint Rifle". Excellent reading for anyone really interested in picking off small targets at extended ranges, full of good information. As mentioned, it may be out of print, but I'm sure it's available if you really looked around for it. The book was published in 1991.

As you can see, good stuff for guys like us:

I have not seen Boyd Mace write for some years now, but he sure knew what he was talking about; he really is "one of us". I highly recommend this book, informative and a good all-around good read. That's his young son on the cover with a nice Martini single shot varmint rifle Boyd built for squirrels, rock chucks and prairie dogs.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

happy shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 11 / ruger target gray

Re: Reading target group characteristics.

Post by happy shooter »

Both books are on amozon.com. I used (bookfinder.com) to find them. $2.53 for The ultimate in rifle accuracy, $12.60 for The accurate varmint rifle
Clover_Shooter

Re: Reading target group characteristics.

Post by Clover_Shooter »

I received my copy of "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy " today. I paid $.73 for the book plus $3.99 shipping and it's in new condition.
Thanks for your all's advice, it looks like a good read.