700 Remington continued

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

700 Remington continued

Post by Lenard »

Well, the Boyd stock came in yesterday. After looking it over, I bedded the barrel right in front of the receiver. So I thought I might get lucky. :) :) Well the results this morning, showed I had made headway, and also slipped backward. I shot two nice groups, the only problem was they were about an inch apart.

Home we go and I dial indicated the gun by loosening the screws, one at a time. I found the front screw did not move the indicator, but when loosening the back screw, the rear of the action moved 7 or 8 thousands.

Now it is time for that dirty lampblack. I coated the action and the recoil lug, tightened the screws up lightly and whacked the end of the barrel with a rubber hammer. Then I tightened the screws completely. When I removed the action, I had contact only on the left side of the lug, maybe an 1/8" only. So I do not know if the recoil issue is with the stock or the action itself.

My next step is to relieve the internals of the stock around the action and give it a skim coat except around the recoil lug, where it will cut back and glassed.

This thing turned out to be a big negative, but has turned into a challenge I am looking forward to. By the way, the Boyds stock was a finished one. It just goes to show, if you want real accuracy, generally some work does need to be done on a new stock.

Lenard
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re: 700 Remington continued

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Sounds like you're making lemonaide out of a lemon. At least you are getting groups.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Well, I bedded the action last evening and took the gun back out at noon today. The first shot, was high and right, but four out of the next 5 you can cover with a quarter. One I pulled and called that shot. So 4 shots under a quarter with a load of dp2200 that is unproven with 34 gr. Midsouth(nosler) hp. I was shooting over the hood of my Jeep so I suggest groups will tighten when using a good solid bench. Now is the time to start working on loads.

I still think that Remington does a terrible job on some of their stocks. In fact, I will be communicating with them about this piece of junk plastic stock.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Lenard, glad to hear your making progress. It's the pits that you have to go through all that trouble though. Post some pics when you get done. Gary