Barrel Harmonics

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Barrel Harmonics

Post by Lenard »

I have never been able to read much about barrel harmonics, although I have been interested. From experience, I have found that some sporter barrels shoot better with a full glass bedding. Others will not shoot that way and need to float except for contact under the chamber.

I would like to hear your opinions of this and if material is available on the net, I would appreciate knowing where.

Lenard
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Barrel Harmonics

Post by surfclod »

Check out Varmint Al's site, there is a section on barrel harmonics that is very good.

http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

He also goes into more detail about adding a tuner to the muzzle end of a barrel.

http://www.varmintal.com/atune.htm

The software analysis is a real help to understanding some of the hard to comprehend things that occur when shooting a rifle.

Check out the rest of Varmint Al's page, if you are fascinated with the physics of shooting (like I am) you will spend many an hour on his sight.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Varmint Al does have some good work on barrel harmonics.

To go with the info you glean from Al try googling "Audette Ladder Test" or "Incremental Load Development"

A slightly different way to develope loads for a particular rifles harmonics. I've used the Audette method exclusively.

I just ran one this Sunday on my new 6ppc. At 25 degrees I found the center of the node at 29.5 gns of N-133. Looking through Dunham Bays Winter BenchRest equipment list I found most shooters were using 29.5 gns of N-133. Go figure.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Thanks guys, that is interesting information and easily understood. Generally I work up 1/2 a grain at a time, but thought that trying different powders/bullets was somewhat cumbersome. It just seems to take a lot of time to eliminate loads/bullets. I like this idea.

Guess I have been fortunate in being able to zone in, though my requirements may not be as stringent as many here. If I can shoot into .300" I am absolutely estatic.

Live and learn.

Lenard