CZ 527 American

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
rogern

CZ 527 American

Post by rogern »

Hi guys

I have one of the above and have just got a 30mm S & B scope for it.
At the moment the rifle has the original CZ mounts, but the scope sits about 1/2" high off the barrel.

Do any of you have suggestions for mounts that will lower the setup please.

Regards
Rustyaxecamp
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Re: CZ 527 American

Post by Rustyaxecamp »

No reccomendations, however, are you sure the bolt throw will clear the scope if you go lower?
Erik

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
rogern

Post by rogern »

Rustyaxecamp wrote:No reccomendations, however, are you sure the bolt throw will clear the scope if you go lower?
Yes I looked at that, I could afford to go 1/4" and still clear it tho.
Thanks
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

May want to contact James Calhoon about trading your bolt handle in on one of his modified ones that lets your scope sit lower. He also modifies 5rd magazines to hold only 3 which lets it sit more flush.

(Images linked from Predatormasters thread)
Before:

After:
cracker

Post by cracker »

call cz and talk to their smith.
1 800 955 4486
Sportingly
cracker
rogern

Post by rogern »

Many thanks, my prob is I live in the UK, and that IS a problem, believe me :mad:
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

I talked to James Calhoon today and he offers rings for the 527 that permit the scope to sit .425 inches high, versus .550 inches high for the stock CZ mounts. However, they are 1 inch mounts, not 30mm.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
rogern

Post by rogern »

Thanks for that Steve, the S & B is a 30 mill tube and its a beut so I'll have to stick with it.

Regards
Roger
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

rogern:

CZ offers a 30mm ring for the 527, but I doubt if it is any lower than the 1 inch. It is item no. 19005. You may email gunsmith@cz-usa.com to discuss this issue with him. I emailed him and he responded back to me in less than 12 hours.

Other rings makers that you may consider include Millett, Talley, Warne, and Leupold. I also wonder if the Sako proprietary product might fit the 527. I am not technical enough to know the answer if the dovetails are the same size, shape, etc. However, the gunsmith at CZ may be able to address this. Further, another knowledgeable gunsmith may be able to address it. James Calhoon was very helpful when I called him. However, when I posed the question of a 30mm ring to him, he promptly dismissed it because he does not believe that 30mm scopes are inherently superior to 1 inchers, and they cost considerably more. But, obviously, that is just one opinion.

I am envious of you with that S & B scope. Yes, that is a darling!

All the best to you.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")