no 204 ammo anywhere

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
CD82
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

no 204 ammo anywhere

Post by CD82 »

well i was planning on doing some shooting this weekend but localy i cant find.
any 204 ammo anywhere in the stores here they are all out an couple told me they dont know.
if they when or if they will get any in at all i wonder whats going on here?
i see 223 ammo everywhere an all other guns just no 204 ammo

anyone else have this problem?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: no 204 ammo anywhere

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CD: You don't list your location, so it's pretty hard to help.

Maybe it's time to consider reloading..... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CD82

Post by CD82 »

sorry i will list it in my prof

i live in abilene texas

ive thought about buyin the stuff to reload but i dont know squat about it. and im not all that great with math or anything

the ammo i used in the rifle was the hornady 32grain the Remmy seem to shoot it the best. never could find Remingtons ammo localy and never trid winchesters as places were always sold out. so i stuck with this and now i cant seem to find this when i call around or go to the stores. big stores like academy and wal mart are gone and academy as of yesterday. had even taken the sticker off the shelf i dont know maybe if they are moving stuff around or what. but they even said they had no 204 ammo maybe insted of a scope. i should look into getting some stuff to start reloading even for my 243. dunno how much money id save who knows seems kinda weird. ive only had this gun a year never whould have thought places whould have no ammo for it.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CD: You're along ways off, so can't offer much, except that the situation could get worse with the new gun-haters in power now. Nobama is on record for being a very anti-gun politician, and wants to increase taxes on all ammo and components.

I'd try surfing the mail order places, as they still have 204 ammo in stock. The Remington 40gr Accu-Tip shot very well in my Sako 75 Varmint when I tried it, but handloaded ammo will always shoot better in any rifle. You'll not only save money by handloading, but you'll enter into an entirely new area that will give you years of pleasure, get to know your rifle better, shoot more, not to mention getting better accuracy than factory ammo could ever give you.

Good luck with the search, I know having a nice rifle and no ammo can be very frustrating.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CD82

Post by CD82 »

ill be honest i didnt even think i whould ever get this rifle and infact i thoguht when i did get one it whould be a Savage.
because im a savage fan but i seen this SPS in the glass at walmart last year for the price i couldnt resisit.
someone had did a special order an did not collect there weapon so wal mart put it in the glass counter.
with a nice price of 418$ so last Feb i nabbed the sucker an i guess i did an ok thing since then ammo for the thing.
has shot up about a dollar and a half more since buying this rifle.

but i do like the gun it shoots well its fun to shoot and im trying to get into coyote hunting.
ive always thought about getting into the reloading scene and have heard there is alot you can do.
like improving accurcey an stuff ive noticed that it might take a bit of money to get set up.
like buying the case trimmer an dies an press an powder and bullets an books an etc. i mean im not even sure what i all i whould need besides a press an 204 dies plus for my 243. an some books to learn an i guess i can save some money where as a box of 200 Hornady Bullets. are 37$ ive got hulls empty hulls yeah i can see where u can save. then not to mention like different recipies

but my thing is that it whould take me a while to go out an get the equpment where i cant jsut go an buy it all at once. i whould have to buy a little at a time and need to know what exactly i need. as in brass powder mesure case trimmers stuff like that i guess a case tumbler?.
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Have you tried gunbroker.com? I bought 200 rounds of factory 32 grain hornady for $180, including shipping. It is about the going rate even with shipping, just a thought. I have been to a few places in my area and it seems no one has much of anything ammo, guns or reloading.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Don't be hesitant about getting into reloading....You don't have to be a 'math wizard' to do it right.... just careful and methodical....

Buy yourself a couple of major reloading manuals, or check them out of the library to get a feel for the process and then start out with one of the Reloading Kits that contain most of what you will need...

For an extra bonus, check around your local gun shop or range and see if you can meet someone that might function as a mentor to get you through the basics...You will find that most reloaders are more than happy to help a newcomer..

Your local shortage of ammo is just a glimpse if what the future may hold if the rumors about higher ammo taxes and increased OSHA requirements for dealers handling ammunition should prove to be true...

They may not easily disregard the 2nd Amendment, but they can bureaucratically severely restrict your ability to find anything to use in your legally owned firearms.
AR
Factory/Factory