Remiington 700 HELP!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Remiington 700 HELP!

Post by Wiiings12 »

I just got done bedding my Remington 700. 1st ever bedding job. Came out as good as I could ask for. But theres just one thing! My Bolt release! I have tried every which way I can think of to put it back on there. I'm trying to find a picture of it or something, but no dice. The rest of the trigger is just fine, but this thing has me beat! I know its just a spring and piece of metal.. but I am dumbfounded :doh: Can anyone lend me a hand?
Thanks!
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
jo191145

Re: Remiington 700 HELP!

Post by jo191145 »

Seems I'm having trouble figuring out links again :lol: :doh:
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31244

Or if that does'nt work try this. Go to Benchrest Central forum and search for "Remington 700 Assembly"

Or try searching Brownells for the schematic.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

There we go! Thanks!
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Need some more help.. When I torn down the scope and rings, I forgot to check and see which screws went where.. I have 3 different types, 2 Big screws (to grip the scope), 2 Medium Screws, and 2 Small. The medium and small are to hold the rings to the gun, but I dont know which order they go in. I have had troubles with scopes in the past.. and I REALLY only wanna do this ONE TIME.
Thanks!
-Graham
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I know diddly about Remingtons and prefer to keep it that way ;)

If you have four screws left to adhere the (bases/rings?) to the scope I would try the short in the front base first.
With Savages anyway a overly long screw in the front can make contact with the barrel tenon. Not a good thing. Remington is probably not much different.

I've never seen a set of bases for a Sav that have two different screw lengths. Sometimes the cheapys are overly long and the forward most screw must be ground down to fit.

With the long screws in the rear you should be able to see if they project through the reciever. If they do the bolt will bind on them.
If they're to long in the front one will bottom out on the barrel tenon/stub and the other will bind the bolt lugs.
Play with them a bit. You'll figure out where they go.

Best advice, install just the forward most screw on the front base first and lightly snug down. If the base still moves it needs to be shortened. Thats the one screw that can affect accuracy or at the very least ruin the barrel stub threads.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .