Ultimate 243 varmint/predator rifle.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ultimate 243 varmint/predator rifle.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: Good point. GlenGTR1, I'd also suggest looking at the Kimber 84M (short action). It, along with the Cooper repeater are both preimum rifles with a stellar reputation for accuracy. Both offer good looks, function, and accuracy offered in a semi-custom production rifle that may qualify for your 'ultimate .243W'.

Sidebar: The Dan Cooper/Nobama issue brings a point to light, in that many very good movies have Hollywood types staring in them that have strong liberal/anti-gun tendencies, but if I boycotted all movies that had these people in them, I'd only be watching B/W re-runs of Rat Patrol or Andy Griffith instead of Blu-Ray or HD DVD movies. Sometimes we just have to "get over it", and move on. (But I'll never forgive "Hanoi Jane Fonda", no matter what!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Excellent words in your sidebar, Rick....

I agree totally with what you said.. especially the "Jane" part...

Public whining because we didn't get our way in this last election does no good. Get actively involved if you want to make a difference. That's what's needed at this point.

Saying for internet consumption that you will never buy a Cooper rifle or an H-S Precision stock that you'd probably have never bought anyway is not productive at all... Unless you think you're impressing someone with your "style"....

JMO - BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The most important part of your decision should be what AMERICAN factory or custom rifle maker gets your business. As for Cooper, I'll wait four years then decide weather I'll look at them again.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hawkeye: I know we both drive American trucks, and I'm all for buying US made goods too, especially at this point in time. But in this case, I also favor some non-US goods, specifically rifles such as CZ and Sako to name two, and in the realm of cars, don't even get me started on domestic cars (I was going to use a strong adjative here, but relented...). Can you say "Bailout?"

My last four cars have all been imports, and compared to my friends who have domestic cars, there is NO comparison (we're not talking trucks here). I've had great luck with Porsche, Audi and BMW.....there, I said it. I'm talking reliability, looks/styling, comfort, performance/longivity and resale value. Flame away, but I'm sticking to my guns here! As for non-US made rifles, I've always remembered a phrase by Frank deHass "No one ever said anything bad about a Sako" (from his book "Bolt Action Rifles and Actions", considered THE reference source for such matters.) His son, Mark deHass (USMC Sniper - RVN) was directly responsible for the M40 7.62 USMC sniper rifle development (based on the Rem M700).

Flame suit zipped up just in case :wink: Sorry for the thread tangent.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

No problem Rio, We're just funnin with each other, I know that ;)
Us cheap guys have to live with ugly and put forth a little more effort. I actually enjoy the challenge.
Speaking of ugly war rifles. Finally took the time to pull a trigger today for the first time in months.
My ol 1903-A3. I do not consider any American battle rifle ugly except mine. Its half stripped to install a scope mount. As far as milsurps go its a beater but I still do not want to permenently modify anything in order to put a scope on it. It seems to like WS2 coated 178gn A-Max and IMR-4350 more than anything I've yet tried.
My hope is to get it under 1moa to compete in a sporter class egg shoot at 100yds. Just another challenge.
I got one .708 three shot group today. Could be total luck of course but its looking prettier now ;)
It would be nice to see this old worn out rifle come out of the closet after fifty years and take home a trophy. I know theres quite a few older shooters that would be darn proud to see it win.
If not its already served its highest purpose.

I would buy a Cooper if I wanted a pretty rifle. I would be inclined to send the company an email explaining my views but I would still buy one.
Carry on folks.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

What is the issue with Cooper and PEBO? Does Cooper support the president-select or something?
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Post by GlennGTR1 »

I looked at kimber but I dont think they chamber a 243 in their varmint line up. I really like the pro varmint at 7 lbs 8oz but the biggest chambering is in 22-250. Im not sure if that is up to rockchucks out to 600 or cougar out to 300 . It would be ideal for walking around with in its sporter weight configuration. With heavier rounds it might work but I havent seen too much info on real long distance with the 224 bullets. The fact that its american made is a plus especialy in these times. Id like to see a lower sales tax rate on American made products and higher taxes on imports. My chevy tahoe is 13 years old has 225k on it and other than brakes and oilchanges some regular maint its going strong. Gets better gas milleage than a Toyota Sequoia
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

GlennGT

Just looked at Coopers catalog. The M-22 comes in 243 or 243 AI (my vote)
Maybe I missed something it would'nt be the first. What weight are you looking for?

My last post here folks. Not because I'm miffed just don't know squat about pretty guns :lol:

Va varminter
You been out of the loop bud ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Rick
No need to explain yourself. If we cant yank our friends chains then who's can we yank. Just picked up a new performance car a few months back and the deal-breaker for me was the one with the largest percentage of American and Canadian made (Mo)parts. I'm not a big fan of unions or the big threes ways either. But, they're a big/HUGE part of Americas past success. Without them and the great people who serve our country, there is no U.S.A. That's the only thing that makes it easier to swallow for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gagging and choking. Our CNC shop has always been LEAN, and by not doing so, we'd be out of business as well. WITHOUT a bailout !! One place you'll never see me is on a foreign car lot. I just hope I don't have to eat my words when the big three start making nothing but tiny Govt electric fart boxes. I guess we're just a couple of stubborn old coots set in our ways, and I'm not that old yet. Good luck at the Doc's for your last tune-up. While your there, have him put a VHR on your eyeball for ya. That way you could try something other then a Leupy :P .

Glenn
Sorry we got off track.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hawk/Mike: Okay, no pouting here either, I guess we got off track a bit. We're all friends here, share the same interests and ideals. You can yank my chain anytime. ;) No matter how you cut it, we're all in this thing together, and I also am well aware of just how important the Big Three are to our economy. Believe me, some time back I never even thought I'd be the owner of ANY import car, having built and raced small block Chevy's and Harley's for many years. (My downfall was the first time I ever drove a Porsche, then a BMW M3....I was ruined right then!) I also agree and hope none of us have to drive Government sponsored electric/econo fart boxes in the near future, and can work out this petro nightmare without any further war, loss of American lives, or more economic damage to our country.

Stubborn old coot? Probably. Set in my ways? Most likely. Flag-waving, patriotic conservative American? Absolutely! I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to ever be seen in a foreign car lot either. There was a time I never, ever thought I'd be there either, and I'm not proud that my hard earned money went overseas when I purchased any of my German cars, believe me. I just wish WE made cars their equal. If we did, there would be two in my garage right now. My tried and true '75 Chevy 4WD is in the driveway though, original owner after almost 34 years, been to many elk funerals, and I have no plans to replace it any time soon. I only hope GM is around for many years to come for parts!

Funny you should mention my upcoming (and hopefully LAST surgery) later this month. My surgeon is coming over to my house tomorrow morning with his 18 year old son. Seems the son is hot to get into varminting, and his doctor dad is well aware of my passion, so has asked me to mentor the lad a bit before he goes off to NY for college in a couple of weeks (then maybe YOU can mentor him there!). We'll soon have another like-minded fellow in our ranks if I have my way. Maybe I WILL get a VHR reticle installed in my right eyeball after all! :lol: It would be sort of like the cool HUD's (Heads-Up Display) our military aviators use for gunsights. Good one Mike; hadn't thought of that one. :D

Glenn: My apologies for blowing this thread apart also. By the sound of what's been discussed in regard to your ultimate varmint/predator rifle in .243W or .243AI, you may be ahead just getting a custom action of your choice, and have a good smith build you up exactly what you want in the proper weight range for what you intend to use the rifle for. So as not to turn this post into a novel, PM me, as I've got some suggestions that may interest you in that regard.

jo191145: We're cool bud, and I'll briefly mention that one of my first real attempts to build a "custom" rifle was also on an old '03 Springfield. It was my first attempt at glass bedding, trigger work, barrel lapping and stock work. The fact that it actually shot better when complete is what launched me into more projects, and I always wondered about the old girls wartime past. When we had our ranch & lodge in BC years ago, many visiting hunters showed up with beautiful reworked Enfields and Springfields, chambered for about every big game cartridge imaginable. The moose, elk, deer, and bear all seemed to die just like they were shot with Weatherby's, the real-meal-deal at that time in history. Good luck with your project.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA