I need some ideas

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Re: I need some ideas

Post by Wiiings12 »

Lenard, I know this is kind of bouncing off topic.. again.. I think I may have a solution to the rough action problem! (key word being MAY!) I only say this because I was able to make my action smooth as silk today! First I took my bolt apart and cleaned it out with a little wire brush and some water, then sprayed it down with Rem-Oil. That made things significantly smoother. As I said a few posts up, when I put ammo in there it made things really bad. What was making that happen was my magazine box! The edge on the front part of the box was sticking up just a wee little bit, but it was giving the cartridges a hassle to slide up into the chamber. I just filed it down a little and then made it really smooth with some sandpaper. Now the action is super smooth! And I am very happy with it! Just thought you might appreciate hearing what solved my problem. Hope your new stock solves the accuracy bit of your troubles.
-Graham
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Graham, did the brass get scratched when you loaded the cartridge thru the magazine? The reason I ask, I noticed I was getting some lateral scratches on my brass and I bet the magazine was the reason why. I will have to check that out on mine.

Hopefully, the stock will be here by next week and I am anxious for its arrival. I am going to go shoot it when it comes in, unless it is pouring inches of rain, like it is now. I sure hope this solves the problem and I am convinced the new stock will be solid enough to do away with flex.

Lenard
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Lenard wrote:Jo, with a good light, you can clearly see the rifleings. I don't now if Remington screwed up with my stock, but the design is surely not being used on high recoil guns as accuracy would be lacking.
Is your friends 308 the plastic stock model? I would hope they are using a more substantial stock for the larger claibers. I do know that some guns just do not shoot well, but that has never been my experience with 700 Remingtons. I have only seen one in 30 years,a wood stocked 7 mag. The recoil lug was only touching on one side of the abutment. I glassed it and it went right to shooting nice groups.

Wiiings, the gun that won't shoot with a warm barrel, is absolutely no good to me. I need one to stay on after a half dozen shots in just a few minutes. On the 700, I never let the barrel get hot, waiting between shots, when shooting for groups.

Sorry Lenard As I said I was sorry to even bring it up. I did get that one Savage tube that has/had what seems to be shallow rifling. After 1000 rds of trying to get it to shoot consistently it still wandered. Oh well thats what the barrel nut is for. Of course if I did'nt have the other Sav tubes to compare it to diagnosing the shallow lands would be impossible.
I'm like you. I use the 204 Sav's in club competition. I need my 204's to shoot around 80 rds with no consideration towards barrel heat or cleaning. I develop loads specifically for that. Anything else just won't cut it. Not always the best for accuracy but they do pretty darn good when I get em right.

I'm not even sure what model my buddies Rem is. I know he ordered the Police model but after waiting 3 months he settled on what he said was the next best thing. It does have a plastic stock but its not a cheapy. It has a full bedding block and would only consider flexing if bashed against a tree. He's been working loads for it since 2002 and still no luck.
I'm a Savage nut and have little desire to own any other factory gun. I enjoy the Savage erector set mentality. Savage won't shoot screw on a different barrel and most likely the problem is solved.

Willings wants you to pull apart your bolt and look for factory gunk. Never a bad idea.
The one used Sav I ever bought had a bolt full of gunk when I finally stripped it.
I no longer use oil on my bolts. I coat the insides with WS2. Super slick and does not attract gunk. A little grease on the lugs and they're usually good to go.
But hey, use what you got I always say.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

That is exactly where the scratches are coming from! I don't have too many tools here so I just used a file to get it roughly the shape I wanted and smoothed it down with some sandpaper wrapped around a pencil. Problem solved.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Graham, I also disassembled the bolt on my 700 to check it out. Mine was clean as could be with no cosmoline or crud.

Buying the Remington has been like working on some of the foreign guns that do not use good quality control. There are so many places that need improvement I cannot even begin to talk about. I have had Remingtons in the past years, and never had a nickels worth of problem with them.

For the life of me, why would any manufacturer stock a small bore caliber known for accuracy, with a plastic stock that flexi's like the one I got. I watched their shotguns with choke tubes being put in crooked, so why would I expect their rifles to not suffer the same? :doh:

By the way, I absolutely love to shoot chucks also. Sitting in the shade of a tree and watching for them to come out of their rocky dens, is medicine for the soul.

Lenard
Wiiings12

Post by Wiiings12 »

Glad to hear they at least decided not to drop your bolt into the mud :lol: Let us know how the new stock turn out! I'm eager to hear.
Take care
-Graham