Walking predator/varmint rifle.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

Walking predator/varmint rifle.

Post by GlennGTR1 »

Been going back and forth between the 22-250 and the 243 this rifle will be used for a walking rifle so weight cant be unreasonable. lets say 7 to 7.5 for rifle only. I Already have a ultra light ruger in 204 but its not legal for cougar in this state. Minimum caliber is 22 centerfire. I looked at the Kimber pro varmint and the Remington lv sf in 22-250 neither come in 243. If you know of a rifle similar to these in 243 let me know. Accuracy is critical because Im hunting some pretty open canyons. Stainless is important also due to the wet conditions around here. Any and all help or opinions gladly accepted.
Keith in Ga

Re: Walking predator/varmint rifle.

Post by Keith in Ga »

I would take a look at a Tikka Lite, skinny bbl, in .243. All the Tikka's I've seen (including mine) are real shooters. I would pick a Tikka over a Remington, never owned a Kimber rifle.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: Well, when I had the same issue, I went with the Remington Model Seven in 243W. It's all stainless, synthetic stock, the "right" caliber (for what you want), and is plenty accurate enough for any coyote you'll likely ever draw a bead on while walking about. Mine shoots well enough that I've never even bothered to bed it, just checked the bedding, adjusted the trigger, then went hunting.

The nice thing about these rifles is the amount of aftermarket goodies available, just like the small block Chevy thing or a Ruger 10-22.

You don't list where you're from (wet....), or if you also intend this rifle for colony rodents, but if you're looking for a premier walkabout or calling rifle in 243W, check out the Model Seven.

Coyotes seems to hate these rifles:

To me, the Model Seven has nice clean lines, is minimal in terms of weight and bulk, and has the typical Remington accuracy needed for dogs across those canyons:

For the record, mine thrives on the 70gr BT over a stiff load of Varget.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I'm a Remington guy but I'm also taking a look at the Tikka T3 Lite for a light carry gun. They come ia at about 3/4 lbs lighter than the light Remingtons and are supposed to deliver excellent accuracy. Also very reasonably priced. If they ever chamber it in 204 I'm going to get one. BTW if a mountain lion was harassing me I think I would feel a lot more comfortable with something bigger than a 22 centerfire
TJD204

Post by TJD204 »

I have the T3 lite in 243 win. and it is a shooter. Great groups, and it will shoot 70 grainers in the same place as 95gr. Trigger is good. Just got another Tikka in 204, hope it is just as good.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I also just recently picked up a camoed Tikka lite with the stainless barrel in a 243. So far it shoots the factory stuff really well. Perfect weight and nice trigger. I can't wait until I find one of these in a 204.
Savage Vaporizer
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Gube wrote:I also just recently picked up a camoed Tikka lite with the stainless barrel in a 243. So far it shoots the factory stuff really well. Perfect weight and nice trigger. I can't wait until I find one of these in a 204.
I found a couple of on-line places that show a T3 Lite chambered in 204 but my other sources[Dealers] tell me it's not.
TJD204

Post by TJD204 »

I just got the Tikka in a stainless heavy barrel 204 with synthetic stock. It was an exclusive for Scheels last year. I havent seen one anywhere else. I havent had time to shoot much yet, 12 rounds to sight in scope and 1 group. So far 32 grain had one group cloverleaf.