To Flute? Or Not To Flute?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jo191145

Re: To Flute? Or Not To Flute?

Post by jo191145 »

Wiiings12 wrote:Ok so first I need to take off my trigger assembly and magazine-box-thing. Tape some of the action and stock off so no goo gets out of hand. Sand a little bit of my stock away as to let the acraglass goo grab onto it, then throw my stock in a vice, fill it with the goo, spray the release agent on my action and slap it all together. That's basically it right?

What gun???

Heres a good way to look at your first bedding job. If your not scared to death and sweating bullets then you haven't done enough homework :lol:

You'll need to read about recoil lugs and understand what makes contact and what does'nt. Lock points are another consideration. Acragel comes with a good set of instructions. You must understand them 100% before preceding.
Its really pretty easy IF you do it correctly. Do it wrong and you'll have a nightmare on your hands.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ok, someone has to be the devils advicate here, so guess I am it.

While I have owned dozens of centerfire rifles over many decades (yeah I'm old/lol) and while (almost) everyone was glass bedded, free floated with many having the action trued, triggers replaced on both my factory and custom rifles etc, all rifles do not need this done. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why I say that is, I have shot and seen shot many rifles that only had the trigger lightened or replaced and have shot one hole groups (almost) all day long. And if hunting only in fair weather conditions it will be unlikely that the point of impact &/or accuracy will change. And, as a reminder, Graham stated his rifle is accurate as is.

Graham, what kind / brand of rifle are you talking about? Wood stalk or ??

Rick, that was me asking about your H-S precision stock. I really like those stocks & I put one on my 223 that was originally "worked over"/bedded etc as stated above. It still drove tackes with the H-S stock with nothing else done to it. I was impressed to say the least. (I didn't like the original factory stock is the main reason I replaced it with the H-S / not accuracy wise).

Now, with that said & is semi-funny is, that I was considering doing the same thing with my 204. HOWEVER, this 204 is extremely accurate (especially for a Remington / lol) as is but of course I had accurized as I normally do.

I put 5 shots in 3/8" group just the other day with this 204 (semi-normal) while blowing the other (5 shot) groups close to 1/2". So here we go again... that is plenty accurate for my liking so why take a chance with another H-S ? Guess I gotta always be tinkering, eh? lol

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Wiiings12
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Stainless

Post by Wiiings12 »

I have a remington 700 SPS. Its a laminated wood stock from Boyds that I'll be bedding (if the freakin thing ever gets here! :mad:) So far I have only been able to shoot at paper at 100 yards (with my original synthetic stock), and let me tell ya if its not shooting in the same hole every time YOU need some shooting lessons! :eek: but again I do not have the stock yet, and I was planning on bedding it anyway. but I'll see how well it shoots with the new stock before I go cementing things together
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I have a Boyd laminate on my 204 that I mentioned above. Nice stock, but gotta admit I had it glass bedded, free floated, action trued and Timney trigger installed. So the %^&* thing better shoot, right? LOL

The H-S Precision on my 223 is the one I did not do anything to... yet! And doubt that I will as it too is accurate as is.

Waiting is the pits. I hate that. A couple yrs ago I ordered another stock and after 2 months just cancelled the order. Patience is a virtue I have not quite mastered; even after 61 yrs. LOL

Good Luck

Frank
THE BEST VACATIONS ARE WHEN SOMETHING DIES... FISHING ETC
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Frank: Like you, I hesitated to bed my first H-S stock with the bedding block, as the rifle, a M700 VSSF in .223 shot the pants off my other .223's. After a weekend with Darrell Holland shooting an almost indentical rifle in .223 that he had bedded, hitting rats in the head at rediculous distances, I asked him to put it on paper in the field. He did, and using an almost identical load as the one I was shooting, (H335/50gr BT), he shot a one-holer.

Now I fully realize that barrels can make all the difference, but I went home and bedded mine, and the very first trip to the range confirmed what Holland had always told me....they always shoot better after bedding....always. Next time you feel the 'tinkering urge', you may want to consider this...... :chin:

By the way, after 62 years, patience is not my virtue either, especially when it comes to gunny stuff! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails