I'm embarrased to say

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

I'm embarrased to say

Post by Rick in Oregon »

that while cleaning out my PM folder, I accidently nuked a message from a forum member asking me technical questions about building a custom 204.

CRS must be in full swing, as I can't remember his name or screen name, just his question (must be the pain meds, right? ;) )

So if that person is reading this, I'm not shining you on, just too quick on the Delete key. Send me your PM again, and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

To those that opened this post anyway, as we all like pics, and to make your effort a bit more worthwhile, here's a pic of warmer times not too long ago with my pet Sako 75 Varmint doing what she does best: Launch Skippy to new heights....

Gads, do I wish I was in that photo again right now! (5" of snow on the ground, more on the way.....)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

cracker

Re: I'm embarrased to say

Post by cracker »

like the looks of the warmer weather. I like the winter but we just got 11 inches with 5 more coming tomorrow. Looks like if I want to do the late deer season I had better buy some snow shoes.
thanks for the ray of hope, spring wiil be here soon after all winter starts tomorrow.
sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

cracker: I'm with you, bud. If my life was 'normal' at present (nobody ever accused me of being normal...... ;) ), I'd be out in the open desert calling yotes with my Nat Gear snow camo, Foxpro and 'Lil Kim, but alas, this is not a normal season for me, what with being laid up after surgery.

But you're right.....we gotta have winter before we get spring..... I just wish it was here NOW! :D

By the way, the 'mystery PM'er' has responded....all is good.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

Nice looking setup......We have a PD trip planned for next June for a week in SD. I am taking seven guns with me and alot of bullets. I hope to come home with nothing but empty brass so I can reload and go again....I am really looking forward to playing with my FIRST NEW 204...
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

medic: Very cool bud; you'll be firmly hooked, I promise. I can't say enough good things about the 204 for this either....about the best caliber to ever come down the pike for Skippy and his pals.

As this is your first PD trip, research some older posts about what gear to take. You may be surprised at some of the simple, sundry items you'll need that you may not have considered for such activities. Besides lots of ammo, more than you think you'll ever shoot, consider lots of H2O, shade (if the wind is not rediculous), portable bench/table, rimfire pistol, sunscreen, brimed hat.... I could go on, but you get the idea. Check out some older posts about going after those sneaky little rodents; you'll be glad you did.

Good luck with your trip, and don't forget your digital camera! We love pics here. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

RIO - would have been me asking the question.

40 gr VMax is my bullet of choice and will be ordering a barrel soon.

Twist? Rifling? Length?

This will NOT be a walkaround rifle....paper puncher and prairie dog bench gun.
KIM204
.204 Ruger Guns: kimber pro varmint 204 ruger

Post by KIM204 »

Rick, I went out yesterday it got up to a cool 21. But I had one taker, with my kimber. Image
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: For shooting the 40gr V-Max, and considering how many factory 12 twist barrels just will not tolerate them, I'd suggest considering an 11 twist. My season was cut short this past spring, but I had fully intended to try them in my Pac-Nor SS Super Match 11 twist, 3-groove tube. This year for certain though. I'll let you know how they shoot, along with the other 40's.

As for length, I'm a fan of 24" barrels for varmint rifles, but your needs may vary. I've got a couple of 26 inchers, and even though they offer a bit more velocity, their handling traits are hampered, but that's a subjective subject. Even from the bench, the 24" tubes just seem better suited for what I do, and they sure handle better.

PM me if you want; I promise not to nuke it this time. :D

Kim204: Way to go bud! Nice kitty you popped. Seeing the snow here, I'm climbing the walls wishing I could get out too. Glad you were able to get out and had an excellent result. Want to share any details of the event?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

chip-don
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1 204

Post by chip-don »

barrels cost a lot i would go 26" if you like the 204 like i do and shoot it a lot some day you can set it back and still have 24" :D
a bad day hunting is better than a GOOd day ////
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco

FWIW
I recently bought a 24" McGowen 11 twist. Thinner magnum contour that would make a good walker. Like you I would have preferred a thicker bench contour but the price was right and no waiting.
I haven't really had the chance to wring it out yet but I started with the 40 V-Max.
It seems the extra twist does the trick. The 40V's are acting like they should. Something I could never really say for my 12 twist Savage tubes.

All factory tubes should be 11 twist IMO.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .