Custom .204 rifle ordered..... finally

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Orion2see
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varminter

Custom .204 rifle ordered..... finally

Post by Orion2see »

For about 30 years, I have wanted have a gun built exactly like I wanted. After getting my first .204 last year, a Cooper Varmint, I decided to have a second .204 built, this one from the ground up.

Stiller Viper action RBLP
Jewell BR trigger
Shilen #7HV stainless select/match barrel 1/12 twist
cut with match reamer
McMillan Hunter BR stock

It will be about 4 months or more before I have it. Since this is a once in a lifetime gun for me, I will probably spend the $$ for Norma brass. A big thanks to Rick for his help along the way helping me decide. Pacific Tool is building my reamer off his print. It will be a long 4 months, and I hope it will be worth the wait.

I went with Shilen because I have had several of their barrels, and all have been top notch. They do not offer a 1/11 twist in .204, so I hope I get a good one that will put 40 grain Sierras in tight groups. If not, I will shoot 35 Bergers.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Custom .204 rifle ordered..... finally

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Orion: Glad to see you launched the project. That will be one sweet .204 for certain. Once she's home with you, be sure to post her picture, and range results when appropriate. I'm sure you told Melina at PTG about the critical .230" neck dimension. Did you go with the same .015" freebore?

Congratulations! That one will be a real shooter and a keeper for sure. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails