204 encore twist?????

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gannon
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C encore .204 Nikon buckmaster 6-18

204 encore twist?????

Post by Gannon »

Hello everyone, new to this forum and trying to learn here. This is my 1st post other than the Tell us about yourself post. This is a dumb question and i should know this owning one but i have been reading about the twist and different bullet grains. Does anyone know the twist of an encore 204 barrel? Its 26" and the bull barrel. Also if anyone has one that they have tried different bullets through and willing to give some helpfull info would be great. I havent had it that long and have only put 32 gr v max hornady thru it. They shoot well but wondering if better in factory ammo. Have not got set up for reloading the 204 yet but it is going to happen soon. Also new to that so any info in that would be great too. Thanks for any help. Gannon
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: 204 encore twist?????

Post by Bunnybuster »

To determine the twist on your barrel, make crosswise mark on a cleaning rod, about 6-inches from the tip. Make one longitudinal mark, the length of the rod.

Put on a jag and tight patch, start it down the barrel, and when the cross mark gets to the barrel, note where the longitudinal mark is. Push the rod on in until the longitudinal mark comes back and lines up with where it was. Now, make a second cross mark on the rod.

Pull the rod out and measure the distance between the two cross marks, and that is your twist.

I would expect it to be a 1:12.
Gannon
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C encore .204 Nikon buckmaster 6-18

Re: 204 encore twist?????

Post by Gannon »

Thanks bunnybuster. It is 1:12. Now im going to mess with different bullets and see what shoots the best. Thanks for your help