Wolf with .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
unclebuck
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M 77 Hawkeye

Wolf with .204

Post by unclebuck »

I was out this morning hunting whitetail and on my way to my area, a big grey wolf was crossing an alfalfa field. He was between two bluffs, so I had plenty of time to load up and shoot. A Hornady 40 gr Vmax through the ribs at about 150 yds. did the job, with no exit hole. He dropped on the spot. It measures 98" from the nose to the tail tip. I initially had questions whether a .204 could do the job, but now I am more than convinced that it is more than a varmint rifle!!!!
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: Wolf with .204

Post by huntsman22 »

We need pics.......good job on the woof
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Way to go. Lots of wolves in La Biche area. I do a fair bit of "ice fishing" in that area and we do see the odd wolf out on the ice. How bout some pics?
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum Unclebuck. The guys out here like to see pics, so bring em on.
Savage Vaporizer
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

Nice to know the 204 will drop wolves. I asked in the 204 Reloading forum earlier in the year, and people were responding that they weren't certain it is enough gun.

I went ahead and developed a hand load for the 45-gr Hornady, anyway. I can whack a juice box with it 8 out of 10 times at 300-yds, so it should work ok as a hunting round. (I really like the juice boxes for targets with the 204 out at 300-yds. They are bright yellow and easy to see, at 3-1/8 X 4-1/2 inches they are one minute of angle wide. And, they blow up when hit, which is lots easier than trying to pick up the little hole with a spotting scope.)

We didn't get a season here in Idaho this fall, due to court protests over teh delisting of the Rocky Mountian population under the endangered species act. The judge actuall liked Idaho's management plan, of shoot a redefiend number and close the season. He was ok with Montanna's plan to have a definite season. He was adamantly opposed to the Wyoming plan of shoot any wolf outside of Yellowstone/Grand Teton parks onsite.

But, it goes back to court this spring, and Wyoming has made a few concessions, so hopefully, we will have a season next fall. If we do, it will overlap deer and elk seasons, so I would hunt for wolves as a target of opportunity while deer, and elk hunting, and only do dedicated wolf hunts, after deer and elk are over for me.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Unclebuck,
Welcome to the forum! Your story is great! But as already stated, pictures....pictures...pictures! We love pictures around here. :lol:
Gary
AK204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye

Post by AK204 »

Awesome! Some happy critters out there right now due to one less wolf :D Post some pics! And some rifle specs.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to send a bullet or three down range at a wolf with my 204.
unclebuck
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M 77 Hawkeye

Post by unclebuck »

I ****ed up my camera when we were moose hunting earlier :mad: , so pictures are only in the mind. Santa promised me a new one for Christmas!!!! :D The rifle is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye(walnut stock), topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200
4 x 12 x 40AO scope with the Ballistic reticle. Sweet handling unit. Accuracy is excellent - 1/2" at 100 yds. with Hornady V-max 40 gr. factory loads(I do not go through enough ammunition at this point to warrant reloading). I have taken at least 10 coyotes out this fall, the furthest at about 375 yds(paces). Dropped in its tracks.