Pac-Nor 1 in 9 twist .204 project

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
CV32

Pac-Nor 1 in 9 twist .204 project

Post by CV32 »

Ok, I think I've settled on rebarreling my Remington 700 VLS from its factory 1 in 12 twist .204 Ruger chambering to a Pac-Nor 1 in 9 twist .204 Ruger super match stainless.

$255.00 is the quoted price. Sounds pretty good to me.

The fitting and headspacing will be done my gunsmith here in Canada, so I'm guessing I am looking for a 'drop in' barrel? I'm a newbie to custom rifle projects, so any advice is appreciated.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Pac-Nor 1 in 9 twist .204 project

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CV32: If your smith there is going to fit and headspace the barrel, then just have Pac-Nor cut the threads for your particular action and do the chambering work. Other than Savage barrels, there really are no other "drop-in" centerfire rifle barrels out there.

Unless you want a standard chamber (SAMMI) with the sloppiness it will give, you'll also need to have your own reamer made. I went the custom reamer route, and am very glad I did. Pac-Nor uses PTG reamers as standard, and they are very good, but if you want a nice snug fit of those cases to give the best accuracy and case life, you'll need a custom reamer too.

Either way, a Pac-Nor SAMMI chambered barrel will outshoot ANY factory barrel, so no matter which route you take, you'll be pleased with the results.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CV32

Post by CV32 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Unless you want a standard chamber (SAMMI) with the sloppiness it will give, you'll also need to have your own reamer made. I went the custom reamer route, and am very glad I did. Pac-Nor uses PTG reamers as standard, and they are very good, but if you want a nice snug fit of those cases to give the best accuracy and case life, you'll need a custom reamer too.
Ok, so the assumption will be that Pac-Nor will use a PTG (SAMMI spec) reamer? Unless I request a custom reamer? And if so, what the process for getting a custom reamer? I assume its something that would be necessary on Pac-Nor's end rather than mine?
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CV32: Right, but because the reamer will be yours, they can order it for you, or you can order direct from Pacific Tool & Gauge, which is near Pac-Nor here in Oregon.

My reamer is on file there at PTG, so if you want to have it duplicated, PM me, and I'll give you their Drawing Number. It is a 204 Ruger Match reamer, "no-turn" neck dimension of .230", and .015" freebore to keep pressures down. All other dimensions have been snugged up very similar to Todd Kindler's Small Caliber News Match reamer, as discussed in the magazine a few issues ago. So far it has exceeded my expectations in all regards. Your brass will also last longer, and need trimming much less over time. If you order direct, you'll also save about 15% from Pac-Nor marking it up for resale. Dave at PTG ships reamers almost daily to Pac-Nor, so if/when you order, just have them send to PN. When ordering your barrel, be sure to tell Penny at PN that you'll have the reamer sent to them from Dave. When PN ships you the barrel, the reamer will be included. This way too, after you shoot enough to cause throat erosion, you can have your smith set the barrel back, and rechamber with the very same reamer, so all your brass for that rifle can still be used.

Do know that any 204 brass shot in another 204 will NOT chamber in the new match chamber, especially any brass shot in a factory SAMMI spec chamber. All 600 cases I have for my Sako 204 Varmint will not chamber in my custom Rem/Pac-Nor Match chamber, not even close, so that tells you it really is a snug fit, hence the high degree of accuracy it displays.

You're going to a 9 twist eh? Do you expect to shoot 50's now and 55's when they come out? I used a three groove 11 twist, and it shoots the 39's and 40's exquisitly. I don't shoot the 45gr spire points, so those were not an issue, but the 11 twist would stabilize them just fine should I ever want to. I'm just curious why you'd want a 9 twist in a 204R.... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

CV32

Post by CV32 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:CV32: Right, but because the reamer will be yours, they can order it for you, or you can order direct from Pacific Tool & Gauge, which is near Pac-Nor here in Oregon. My reamer is on file there at PTG, so if you want to have it duplicated, PM me, and I'll give you their Drawing Number. It is a 204 Ruger Match reamer, "no-turn" neck dimension of .230", and .015" freebore to keep pressures down. All other dimensions have been snugged up very similar to Todd Kindler's Small Caliber News Match reamer, as discussed in the magazine a few issues ago. So far it has exceeded my expectations in all regards. Your brass will also last longer, and need trimming much less over time. If you order direct, you'll also save about 15% from Pac-Nor marking it up for resale. Dave at PTG ships reamers almost daily to Pac-Nor, so if/when you order, just have them send to PN. When ordering your barrel, be sure to tell Penny at PN that you'll have the reamer sent to them from Dave. When PN ships you the barrel, the reamer will be included. This way too, after you shoot enough to cause throat erosion, you can have your smith set the barrel back, and rechamber with the very same reamer, so all your brass for that rifle can still be used.
Excellent (and educational!) information. Thank you very much, Rick.
Do know that any 204 brass shot in another 204 will NOT chamber in the new match chamber, especially any brass shot in a factory SAMMI spec chamber. All 600 cases I have for my Sako 204 Varmint will not chamber in my custom Rem/Pac-Nor Match chamber, not even close, so that tells you it really is a snug fit, hence the high degree of accuracy it displays.
Okay, so a decision to be made. 204 brass is not easy get to around here, not yet anyway, and I have a large stock of brass for my Remington and my CZ 527. I also have a Tikka on order. So there would be some merit in being able to use brass interchangeably, but at the same time my practise has been to devote once fired brass to that particular rifle anyway. I may take you up on that duplicate reamer offer. Thanks for that.
You're going to a 9 twist eh? Do you expect to shoot 50's now and 55's when they come out? I used a three groove 11 twist, and it shoots the 39's and 40's exquisitly. I don't shoot the 45gr spire points, so those were not an issue, but the 11 twist would stabilize them just fine should I ever want to. I'm just curious why you'd want a 9 twist in a 204R.... :chin:
You shouldn't be wondering about it too much. You recommended it! ;) You said:

"... and as a user of both the 223AI and the 204, if I were building one or the other right now, I'd go the 204 with 9 twist and the 50 grain route hands down."
See: http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=4970

Yes, I'd like to be able to shoot the heavier bullets. I have a lot of the 45 gr Hornady on hand, I'm looking to try some of the new Wildcat 48 gr ULD, and I'll try heavier bullets too. Do you think a 10 or 11 twist would be better? More barrel life?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CV32: Yep, I remember...that was based on recent developments outlined in Small Caliber News about the heavy bullets for LR work with the 204. Still good advice for the heavier 50's if that's what you want to shoot.

If barrel wear is a concern, less twist of course would mean longer wear, but not by a huge margin, as thoat erosion is the real culprit here, not the actual rifling. If your intention is primarily for long rang work using the 50gr ULD's and the VLD's, then by all means go with the 9 twist. If you have not read the subject article, I suggest checking it out; good info.

My bullets of choice in my 204's are the 32's and 39/40's, as I use these rifles for ground squirrels and PD's under 600 yards. For chucks and work at the longer ranges, I use different rifles and calibers. Todd Kindler firmly believes that if the factories would offer 55's and even 60gr VLD's in .204 caliber, the caliber would be useful at 1,000 yards because of the very high BC those bullets would offer. He's working on the big three makers now to that end, so if that comes to fruition, your 9 twist would have a good bullet selection. The 55's and 60's though, may require a 7 twist, which is not my thing, but I'm sure a rifle so chambered would be very effective at extended ranges.

Let me know if you need that reamer drawing number for the SCN Match reamer with the .230" neck. You may want to talk to Chris or Casey at PN and pick their brains to get input on the twist for what you want to do. Keep us posted on this project, I'm very interested. Good luck.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Pac Nor does offer a 204 Ruger Match chamber under its wildcats category. No idea about its specs.
For many reasons that will not work for your situation anyway.
You may need to modify Ricks reamer for the longer pills. He would obviously know more about that than I.

Personally if I wanted to shoot the 50 Bergs I'd go with a 20BR in 9 twist :twisted: :twisted:
Of course you'd need a new bolt. And maybe a few spare barrels :twisted: :twisted:

Things might be somewhat easier if you shot a Savage.
You've still got extra hurdles to jump through up there either way.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CV32: jo191145 is correct; exactly why I'd talk to Chris or Casey with what you want to do before having them whip you up a nine twist barrel. There are issues to consider here.

(And don't listen to that Savage stuff either! ;) )

For the money you're about to spend on this project, you want to get it right the first time. :!:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

CV32,
I'm watching this real close too. I hope you have great results and keep us posted. I haven't decided if I want a fast twist 20 cal in 204 or perhaps a little bigger wildcat. I met a fella who had a 20-250 with an 11 twist 28in barrel. He could get 4300 fps with Berger 40's but it didn't like the 50's. I made ballistic charts out to 600 yards and although impressively flat, it really wasn't enough better than a 204 to interest me. I don't believe the 40 grain is very stable below 2000fps. The 50 grain and larger bullets should be stable at less velocity and their high bc's should help retain velocity for a long distance. A 20 cal that shoots 700-800 accurately is my goal. I have a rifle that accomplishes that distance but it is a 6mm-06 and it burns bushels of powder, kicks like a mule, heats up with 5 shots, and fouls every 10 shots. All this rambling thought doesn't mean much untill somebody makes the bullets. So I keep dreaming.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

For the custom reamers, is it possible to get the reamer and redo a factory chamber on a factory barrel?
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

This thread got my meager mental juices percolalting......and I have a related question......

I've got a Cooper M21.....could I have it rebarreled with a PacNor .204 custom chambered barrel? Some of you folks who are more knowledgeable about compatibility of custom barrels may know the answer.

I'm not sure if that's feasible....thanks. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
CV32

Re: Pac-Nor 1 in 10 twist .204 project

Post by CV32 »

Well, the Pacific Tool & Gauge custom reamer is complete (many thanks to Rick for his assistance) and enroute to Pac-Nor for the barrel work.

Erring on the side of caution and Rick's good experience, I've decided to go with the 1 in 10 twist for this .204 Ruger Match chambering.

Barrel choice from Pac-Nor will be their "Contoured & Polished Super-Match Grade Stainless Steel" in the same contour as the existing Remington 700 VLS factory barrel.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

CV32: Congrats, you will have a real shooter on your hands. After break-in, be sure to let us know how she shoots. Glad it all worked out for you, and also, you may be glad you went with the 10 twist, as there are not alot of .20 caliber 50gr bullets available at this time. You should have fine results with the 39 SBK and the various 40 grainers, not to mention the Hornady 45gr. offering.

BunGoLeo: Yes, you can rechamber any factory barrel with a custom reamer of the same caliber, the smith just sets the barrel back one or two threads and rechambers it normally.

VarTarg: George, you can have that Cooper rebarreled with a Pac-Nor no problem. Cooper's are most accurate rifles.....do you have one that is shot out? It would be no problem to have your smith fit a Pac-Nor or any other top makers barrel to the Cooper action.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

CV32

Post by CV32 »

Opinions wanted. Polished or bead blasted finish? Crown - flat, stepped (recessed) or 11 degree target style? Rapid replies appreciated. 8)
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Bead blasted and 11 degree...you cannot go wrong. :)