Cleaning patches

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Cleaning patches

Post by greystone »

What do you guys use for cleaning patches for 20 cal. I use a cleaning jag and find that some patches are just too tight to push through the bore without cutting them down. I've bent more than one rod. Thanks. Dave
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Cleaning patches

Post by skipper »

Southern Bloomer makes these ribbed cotton knit patches in 1 inch squares. These are by far my favorite patches. They can and will get stuck if they wad up while getting them started but usually work extremely well in both my .204s.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Cleaning patches.................#2 round patches (1-1/4"). Brownells # 084-288-002. These work for me. Might be worth a try.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I use Pro-Shot 3/4" Square 100% Cotton Flannel. Item #: 3/4-500. They fit .17 to .22 cal and work great! Gary
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Only patches I've used for the .204 so far, and they seem to work great. $9.99/1000 on sale at Midway today.

Edit: I should point out these are probably only good to be used with a pointy tip jag, not a slotted style jag.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

I had the same problem as you with my .204 jag. I switched to a .17 jag and use .22 caliber patches because they are alot easier to find. It works great for me :D Hope this helps.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The key here is to use a proper spear-point jag for each caliber you shoot. For my 17's, I use Pro Shot 3/4" square patches, and for my 20's, 22's, and 6mm's, I use a caliber specific spear-point jag along with Pro Shot 1-1/8" square patches for all those calibers, and because the jag is caliber specific, the 1-1/8" patches work perfectly in all those bore sizes. This also eliminates a large patch inventory of different sizes having to be on hand.

The old loop style of jag just doesn't cut it, period. You'll never see one at a BR or Highpower match. The spear-point jag will ensure you get 100% patch to bore contact, the same every time. Another benefit is they never come off the jag when being pushed down the bore (one way trip only, never drag a patch back towards the action.)

The operative word here is "spear-point jag" only. (Dewey, Pro Shot, Tipton, others)

I use a plastic box intended for lures or flys from the local Sportsmans Warehouse to organize all my jags and brushes. Cheap, works very well. (The QD studs in the box are from rifes being used off my Sinclair front rest so as not to interfere with the front or rear bag during recoil.)

I use a felt tip marker to label the cleaning rods to avoid any confusion in the field.

To haul all the cleaning stuff around, I use my old USMC Match shooters box, slightly modified to suit my current needs. A tackle box works as well.

The trick is to have proper sized jags for the bore size you are shooting, patches to properly match, and something to haul it around in to have it all close by in the field when needed. Remember, the 1-1/8" patches will work in bore sizes from .20 to .243, as long as you use the proper spear-point jag sized to the caliber you're shooting.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

RIO,
Where'd you get that bottle to attach to the end of your barrel? When you push the patch through and it pops out the muzzle, do you just pull it back, letting the patch get knocked off the end? That's what I've done, but I like the thought of not having patches full of solvent blowing away for some bird to use in their nest.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Baba: The item you're referring to is called the "Patch Mate". Clamps to the end of the barrel, the end cap comes off for patch disposal. We all got ours from Sportsmans Warehouse, but I've seen them in most of the mail order cats too. In use, it prevents the aerosol effect of solvent from the brush exiting the bore from blowing onto the objective lens of your scope (scope caps are good.....), plus it keeps all the solvent that drips out of the bore, along with the dirty patches all contained for easy disposal.

The ranches we shoot raise alfalfa hay, so HMR brass and solvent soaked patches are two of the last things on their list of things for their customers to find in their hay after their prize horse comes down sick. Plus, it's just good manners not to leave all your patches littered about on the ground.

SPOD (Silver Princess of Death) getting the Pac-Nor 204RM tube clean, Patch Mate in place. A real dandy item. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Thanks Rick.

I looked al over the net but can't find the "patch mate". I did find this though. A homemade patch catcher. One advantage I see of it is you can through away the bottle full of patches and grab another empty one to take next time. I think there's little mini soda bottles too that use the same cap. My barrel doesn't fit in a regular 16 or 20 oz top, so I'd have to make one changing the parts to use a juice bottle I guess.

If anyone could find me a link to the "patch mate" online somewhere I'd like one of those. Where it would come in particular handy is at home. I wouldn't have to put something down on the floor or bench before cleaning.
Last edited by BabaOriley on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Varmint Extreme ordered: expected in Sep/Oct 2008

Post by birddog »

I use the bore tech patch hog. Looks to be the same thing (probably more pricey with the bore tech name).

Here is where I got mine:

http://lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTPH1000

Birddog
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

birddog wrote:I use the bore tech patch hog. Looks to be the same thing (probably more pricey with the bore tech name).

Here is where I got mine:

http://lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTPH1000

Birddog
Thanks birddog