Melvin and Dave's excellent adventure

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Melvin and Dave's excellent adventure

Post by glenn asher »

You can read about it on page 170 of the newest Varmint Hunter magazine. Dave Zwiener, one of us, wrote a nice article about Melvin Eades and family, and the fun they've had Pdoggin' in Nebraska. Don't miss it, it's a fun article and it's about our own folks.wtg :!:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Melvin and Dave's excellent adventure

Post by dancindave89 »

Glen,

Thanks for the kind words. I've always wanted to a write a story for a magazine, and Varmint Hunters is the only magazine I know that a nobody like me can get his great hunting adventure published. I've had many of great times hunting with Melvin and his family. I love to read his hunting stories. I don't believe I told him about me writing this one either. It took me a while to get it done and then it took nine months before they could get it into the VHA Magazine. I'm suppose to get an extra copy and plan to send it to Melvin.

Happy hunting,

Dave Zwiener
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Glen.......Thanks.......Just got done reading the actical and it was great. The young hunters had a great time.
dancindave89.......Thanks for taking time to compose the artical.
Just got a membership VHM this year. Good reading and to find out some of our site members contribute to the magazine.
Thanks again
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
dancindave89

Post by dancindave89 »

Ray P,

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. If my High School Enlish teacher was still around, she wouldn't believe that I wrote it. I was terrible in school. But the great thing is VHA's Editor goes through every article and fixed all my bad grammar. Thanks again and welcome to the Varmint Hunters Association. If you haven't yet, you need to check out the VHA's web forum.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Dancindave Zwiener
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I joined the VHA in '98, and have kept it up. I generally read the magazine cover-to-cover as soon as I open it up. When I got back to page 170, and saw your name, and Melvin's mention, I knew it had to be you fellers. :D
Melvin's been down to Louisville a couple of times in the last two years, we've gotten together to visit while he was here. He IS a nice guy and good to visit with, too. He speaks highly of you, also :mrgreen: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Dave, Nice story! It's great to see kids getting involved in outdoor activities not just playing video games. Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

dancindave: Just finished reading the article....good job. Shooting PD's and ground squirrels is a great way of teaching proper range estimation, holdover, and generally getting familiar with one's rifle. I'm very glad Ben had a grand time, and now has the fever also. It will most likely stay with him for life.....liberals permitting (we won't go there).

As this type of shooting is my passion, I'm working on another article for VHM too. Don't be bashful to pen another one yourself, as we all here enjoy reading forum members adventures out there with 204's or any other varmint caliber. Pictures, lots of pictures (I sent about 30 photos for my last article, and saw only about four or five used, but I realize space is limited in the magazine.) I just wish they'd use color for members articles more often.

Is Ben getting his own rifle for Christmas? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

I had no idea Dave was doing a story on one of our pd shoots. I'm anxious to read the story. Let me go back in time to the winter of 2004. I had always dreamed of shooting pdogs, but didn't have a clue about how to find a place to do it.
I was on another web site when I came across a post where Dave had told someone that if they were going to be in his area, he would take them out for a shoot. I sent an email to Dave asking him the regulations and how do I go about finding a place to shoot pdogs. Dave replied and invited us out. Dave was taking a gamble and so was I, not knowing who each other were. Through more emails and then phone calls, we set up a weekend to drive to Neb. for our first pdog shoot.
My sons Ethan and Lucas and my nephew Jason loaded up my truck and headed out not knowing what to expect.
We left IL. at 6:30 pm on a Thursday, driving through the night and meeting Dave the next morning.
When we met Dave, it was like meeting a friend from the past. We all hit it off and had a great time. Dave made my dream come true with his generosity. Up until that weekend I had never had a use for a varmint gun. Now I have three of them. Pdogging is addictive.

2004 The gang. L to R, Dave, Ethan, Jason, Lucas and I.

At the time, Lucas was making turkey calls and gave one to Dave. Dave said Lucas would have to come out the next Spring and call him up a his first turkey and we did.

Spring 2005. Dave's first.

Later that same day, Lucas and Dave doubled up and shot this pair.

The next morning, Dave and I went out to call up a coyote for him, only it came in on my side. The rifle is my first varmint gun, a Savage M12FV in 22-250. My farthest shot on a dog that weekend was 412 yards.

In Feb. of 2006, Dave came to IL. to coyote hunt with us. Not a good weekend, the temperature highs were in the low teens and 30-40 mph winds, but we still had a good time.

2006 Dave lining up on a dog while Lucas is videoing.

Along the way we met Dave's family and man, can his mom cook. His family welcomed us and made us feel like we were at home.

Dave came to IL. again in Feb. of 2007 and we at least got one coyote for him.

We headed back to Neb. in May and Lucas shot this turkey the first morning.

Later in the day, we headed out for some pdog shooting. Dave's son, Ben, was going with us. Here he is lining up on the first dog of the day with some coaching from his Dad.

He made good on his first shot so we had to take the hero picture.

Ben made some pretty long shots that day as Dave spotted for him.

Spring 2008 was not the best conditions for hunting. A lot of rain and wind. Lucas didn't want to shoot an immature bird, even though we had several in gun range. We walked a lot of miles but just couldn't locate a mature tom till the afternoon of our last day to hunt. We spotted two toms about a 1/4 mile away and Lucas stalked up within 20 yards to shoot this one.

The afternoon before was the only time we got to shoot pdogs, but very few came out. Between Lucas and I, we only shot 85 times.

Dave has become a great friend and a lot of fun to hunt with. Maybe some day he can come to IL. and hunt deer with us. With Dave's generosity, he made one of my dreams come true and I look forward to many more hunts with him. To Dave, I say, Thank You.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

This is what makes this site so great. Thanks, Melvin. That's a great post and some super pictures.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Well now, isn't that neat! I will have to get the article.
WTG Dave! Hunting with Dave back on the 1st trip, was a blast and hope I can get there again. It is neat when Dave comes to IL that I can run to Melvins and visit.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
dancindave89

Post by dancindave89 »

Thanks everyone,

Kind words, from the best people in the world. I don't have to tell you guys how great Melvin and his family are. You can see it in his words and pics that he post here. I always thought he should be an outdoors writer. He has some of the best stories I've seen. He can put you right there next to him. Maybe we can get him to join VHA again (hint, hint). He'd never have to pay again if he wrote a story a year. Heck, he writes several a year for us here already.

To pay back the words. Melvin and his families hopitality is second to none. They make you feel at home before you get there.

Songdog, You are welcome back anytime. Your son will have to come too. The bad thing is the guy who rents the land where we hunt p-dogs the most told me this year that if he has his way. He wants to poison the p-dogs within the next two years. Can't blame him, but it breaks my heart to think I may lose this place.

Well, gotta go. I'm taking off to southeastern Nebraska to check out a place to hunt deer this afternoon. Hoping to take several doe this year and maybe a decent buck with the bow. Take care all and see ya soon on the hunting grounds.

Dave Z.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Dancindave Zwiener