ruger compact 7mm08

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

ruger compact 7mm08

Post by GlennGTR »

Has anyone at this site purchased and hunted with this handy little rifle? I have and am intrested to know if you have hunted elk with it. And what your experiences with the rifle have been.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: ruger compact 7mm08

Post by Bunnybuster »

If you are a good shot, shoot for the heart and lungs, and limit your self to shots of about 250-yds, it will do fine as an elk rifle.

AT 300-yds, the energy is getting marginal, and even at 100-yds, you probably won't get a quick, humane kill with a cross wise rear hip to front shoulder shot.

The 30-30 killed a lot of elk. But those guys new their rifles, and didn't take long stupid shots.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: My "light" rifle is a custom made rig from Prairie Gun Works in Winnipeg, Canada built on a custom titanium action, 24" Gallaird stainless fluted barrel (Canadian-made), High Tech synthetic stock in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved. The caliber still amazes me, giving performance equal to my pet .270 Winchester but with ten grains less powder! How about a 120 Nosler BT at an honest 3,380 fps?

If you plan to use your new 7-08 for elk, just stoke it with Barnes Tipped Triple Shock's in 120 or 140 grain, and you'll get complete broadside penetration or very good penetration on a raking shot under 250 yards....the range being the limiting factor. As Bunnybuster said, just don't take any stupid shots. The Triple Shock bullet will penetrate better than any other premium bullet I've ever tried, especially on large bull elk. Normally I would not hunt elk with a caliber this light, usually relying on my .338-06 for such duty, but with the Barnes TTX bullet, it's a done deal.

This rifle was built for sheep and goats in BC, but inbetween, it still serves well for the steep mule deer country right here in central and eastern Oregon. Loaded, scoped with sling ready to hunt: 6.9 lbs.

That little "last day of the season buck" was purty tasty too! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ADH

Post by ADH »

how did you get that deer to sit so still for that picture pops?

glen i have had the honor of fondling rick's 7mm-08 AI and it is one sweet rigs. only problem is he had it build to his LOP and specs and not mine. but in all fairness he didn't know he was going to will that particular gun to me, now did you rick?

andy
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Yes, I have. Have not used it on elk as I haven't been drawn yet. It is awesome on deer and one sweet rifle. That new trigger is great also. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society