Hornady 45 gr SP

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Hornady 45 gr SP

Post by walleyeman »

Well, I thought I would give everybody a brief rundown on these factory fodder. The first group measured 0.7" @100 yds and the best group thereafter measured 0.6" @100yds. These thing can really shoot. I plan to use these this winter for any coyote that crosses my path.

What I really was surprised with was the heat of the barrel or lack there of. I was at the range to shoot the postal targets and was using the 32gr vmax and the barrel would get warm to the touch thus I would have to wait 5-10 mins between shots for it to cool off. But when I was done with the postal shoot and started shooting the 45's there was no heat at all. Even if shots were fired at closer time intervals than the 32gr vmax.

What I want to know is , does this make any sense. Is it because the 45's are travelling around 400fps slower than the vmax? At any rate I sure was impressed with the performance on paper. I would post a pic but do not have a photobucket account. :(
Murphy

Re: Hornady 45 gr SP

Post by Murphy »

walleyeman wrote:I would post a pic but do not have a photobucket account. :(

There you go. :D
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

walleyeman wrote:
What I want to know is , does this make any sense. Is it because the 45's are travelling around 400fps slower than the vmax? At any rate I sure was impressed with the performance on paper. I would post a pic but do not have a photobucket account. :(
With heavier bullets, less powder is used, therefore should equate to less heat generated.
Not sure, but that's what makes sense to me.
Savage Vaporizer
badhop
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VTR 204 Ruger

Post by badhop »

I,ve found the same results with the 45gr Hornady ammo. It's some good stuff. The heating aspect I would agree is as said "less powder being used". I have found it is hard to duplicate accuracy of the factory 45gr ammo with reloads through my Remington VTR. The best load I've come up with is 25.5gr Benchmark, 35gr Berger bullit in Hornady brass, and Remington 7 1/2 primers. Groups of both average 1/2 inches.